Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP BEES!!!!  (Read 3595 times)

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
HELP BEES!!!!
« on: June 28, 2009, 01:33:00 pm »
I need some advice pretty quick, sitting in the garden just now and had a swarm of bees i think, not to sure but could be honey bees, fly over, really scared the kids. They are now in the hedge between the garden and the Field hundreds of them. WHAT the heck do i do, i know nothing about bees or the likes, they cant live where they are although they seem to think they can, mums highly allergic to them and i dint want to find out if the kids are the same.
I don,t know of anyone who keeps them locally, addvice please, I'm in a panic.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: HELP BEES!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 01:38:59 pm »
Leave them well alone, they won't come looking fro you or the kids.  bees don't want to sting you - it kills them!  Look on-line for a local bee-keeping society or try this for info - http://www.kingschester.co.uk/dailylife/beekeeping.htm

I've been given an advance Christmas Present of a bee-keeping course - looking forward to doing that when I come back from France at the end of the month.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 01:43:40 pm »
http://www.britishbee.org.uk/swarm_help.php

Hello PP,

try not to panic whatever they are , give them a wide birth till you know whats what and you should be ok . The above link should give you enough info on what you have in your garden , most likely a swarm of honey bees. They will mainly leave you alone in the swarm state , but don't go poking with sticks or anything as I have seen some people do , very dangerous. You will have a local beekeeper somewhere near you who will come and collect them for free, it is a good way of beekeepers of increasing their hive colonies. As stated in the article on the link , your local police station will have a contact to get hold of, if you can't find anyone yourself. Hope that helps a bit...take care but don't worry , just leave them alone .

cheers

Russ

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 01:59:26 pm »
Thank for that, They've landed on a fruit tree in the headge, they are totaly amazing only problem they are holding us hostage in the house and its not great with four kids and the heat, windows and doors are closed because they keep coming inside. if they had landed in the back feild they could have stayed undisterbed.

rustyme

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 02:12:08 pm »
you could get some joss sticks and light them indoors, the bees will then stay well away from the house . They smell the smoke and think that there is a forest fire or something similar, and prepare to fly off if need be . Thats why beekeepers use smokers to calm bees , what is really happening is the bees go away from the smoke deeper into the hive and start to collect honey etc in preparation for their impending move away from the fire.This never happens , as the beekeeper does what he has to and then goes away . The bees then put everything back in place and carry on doing what they do . I have a beehive in my yard some 30 feet from my door , and I use an empty food tin that I put in rolled up corrugated cardboard , I light this so that it just smokes and it keeps all the bees away from my door but doesn't interfere with their normal duties. I only have to do this on days when they are in a bad mood for some reason , most of the time they leave me and the dogs alone. I can't stand the smell of joss sticks so I don't use them , also cardboard is free....

good luck

cheers

Russ

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 02:18:27 pm »
Been on the site, our local person is out at the moment, They are exactly what is on the site, Totally amazing, I've never seen or heard anything like it before the place went dark as they went over and the noise, wow! They seem to have settled now, a few flying around and hundreds on the tree, i would love to keep bees but the risks with my mum are not worth it.

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 02:27:52 pm »
hehe, that was one of the thing mum use to do if we ever ate outside anywhere as kids, there would be piles of damped down paper napkins smoldering under the table to keep the wasps away, we would get some funny looks but were never stung. :bee: :bee:

The man says he'll be over in an hour.

THANK YOU all for the advice, dosen't matter have much you think you know theres always something new to learn and i'm so greatful to have found somewhere i can turn to for help, advice and reasurance.  :bouquet: ;D

rustyme

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 02:42:26 pm »
I know what mood my bees are in by the pitch of hum they make . If it is a low gentle hum I can hear when I open my door , then all is well with the world ...if they are giving out a higher busier more gnat like hum , then I tell the dogs to give them a very wide birth ... we are all used to it now , I just say to the dogs ..." keep away from the bees Boys , they are in a bad mood !!! " the dogs look straight at the hive , and keep well away from it ...lol who says they don't understand what we say to them ...? Glad you got it sorted anyway ...

cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS