Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any smallholders in Scottish borders able to supply whole butchered lamb  (Read 4116 times)

rearanger

• Joined Mar 2013
Any smallholders  in Scottish borders able to supply whole butchered lamb. Looking for possibly 1-2 per year.

Tedshort

• Joined May 2012
Hello
We are in Alston Cumbria and will have some lambs, we also keep a few on as hogget.
They are Jacob x Southdown the reasoning is we should get the taste from the Jacob and the Southdown will add a bit more fat.  The Hogget will be Jacob x Texel x Southdown.
The lambs are just born now.
Ted

rearanger

• Joined Mar 2013
ill PM you ...I assume the lambs will not be ready for a while lol ...I could starve lol

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
Hi
I am near Haddington, East Lothian so I don't know if that is too far but we will have hogget hopefully June/July and September/oct. They are Hebridean, so not very big but very tasty. We also have Jacobs but are waiting for our first lambs mid April. I am sure there will be more replies from the Borders but let me know if interested. Thanks. Fu.
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
I have got shetlands and also some commercial crosses, the Shetlands would go as 18 months old hogget (or older for proper mutton), commercials would be more the usual fat lamb stage at 40kg liveweight in late autumn/early winter. I am near St Boswells.

Would also depend how you wanted it - cuts or a whole/half for yourself to butcher? Problem now is out nearest abattoir is Shotts, so I need to do a minimum run of at least 6 to allow me to charge reasonable amounts. We now only do very few to sell as meat as not really financially viable. If you have your own transport/CPH I would prefer to sell live.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
I've just had 5 lambs butchered, and will have more later in the year. We have Portlands and Scotch mule x Beltex. We're between Galashiels and Peebles.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
We are in Allendale area of northumberland but also have family in Alston and travel to Carlisle most weeks.
we usualy have some spare lambs
Graham

rearanger

• Joined Mar 2013
we are near coldstream, is anyone got any ready in next few months?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
We have about 4 remaining commercial hoggs (2012 lambs) which are just clear of withdrawal period now.  This weather has been cruel, they'd benefit from a month of better weather to get back into best condition.

We're a little far from you, but if you had any plan to be heading down the M6 and were interested, drop me a PM. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

rearanger

• Joined Mar 2013
bit far lol .... was hoping for a bit closer lol

Hannes

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • Loch Arthur and their animals
    • Loch Arthur Farms
Would Dumfriesshire be close enough? 7 Miles behind DMF? We have a butchery in our shop and still get lambs supplied by local farming friends, who also rear their lamb to biodynamic standards. unforunately we dont have any of our own lamb left, but as  said we get helped by our friends. I could easily order a couple more for you and you pick it up ready butchered and packed. Is that an idea?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Hi I am just outside Eyemouth in Reston, have just started lambing now so won't have any ready for a while, I usually have them butchered by Reivers which is a bit costly although they do a good job.
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS