Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do you know where I can buy pot goose eggs?  (Read 2329 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Do you know where I can buy pot goose eggs?
« on: March 19, 2013, 04:35:08 pm »
My goose eggs are getting pinched by probably otter or stoat and I've just spent over an hour on the computer trying to find some pot goose size eggs to put in their place but I can't find anyone selling them which I'm quite surprised about.

Would prefer ceramic but plastic would do, polystyrene wouldn't work.  Anyone know where I can get them?  The best I can seem to do is duck eggs and even our large Muscovy eggs are no where near big enough, think the goose will just throw them out.

Any ideas anyone?  Don't really want to have ones sent from the US, there must be some in UK surely!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Do you know where I can buy pot goose eggs?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 06:51:49 pm »
What about blowing a couple of eggs and filling them with plaster of Paris?

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:04:31 pm »
Why not just make them out of plaster a £5 bag of finish plaster will make loads mix the plaster up and wait till it starts to set and then roll into an egg shape let them dry and paint easy.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:16:57 pm »
Was going to suggest the blowing & filling option too but actually you could combine both and make a mould of an egg and then use plaster of paris to fill it - you could even make a side line in selling them!

H

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:59:16 am »
Hmm, that could be a project with the kids. 

Have ordered some polystyrene ones to confused the soat / otter as they are cheap, the wooden ones on ebay are over £6 each  ::)  and I don't fancy losing too many of them.

I'll look for an easter egg in a plastic container thats about the same size for the plaster thing.  Gap in the market out there actually, although there's probably not a huge demand of course .... thanks all.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS