Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: coccidiosis  (Read 2047 times)

liffy

• Joined Jul 2012
coccidiosis
« on: March 18, 2013, 04:24:39 pm »
Hello
I have inadvertently brought chick crumbs that are non medicated, so no ADS. I am worried about cocediosis. If there something I can add myself?
Thank you.

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Re: coccidiosis
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 06:41:04 pm »
Hi,
you could put coxoid in their water, but don't know if there is any kind of powdered stuff that you can mix with the feed.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 07:10:21 pm »
Is there any particular reason to be worried? They will most likely be fine.

liffy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:23:01 pm »
Will they be fine? Everything I had read seemed to suggest they would  get it unless medicated, but am new to this so if most people don't bother than that's good! I suppose I could get something off they get it.

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:30:25 pm »
The place I buy my hen feed from told me today that they no longer put ADS in the chick crumb as they said 'the chicks aren't ready for it'. Instead they put it in the grower pellets where the chicks will benefit from it more. It may be worth asking your supplier if that is the case.

I only asked because I have hatched quail in the past and will be getting some more eggs in the not too distant future, so I don't want the medicated crumb for them.

I hope this helps.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:52:25 pm »
The ACS inhibits their growth noticeably. We only used it with chicks reared under a broody outside. The ones hatched in incubators on non-ACS were about 50% bigger at the same age. We had some in our cellar and Lucy Legbar developed Coccidiosis at 4 weeks. The vet said she was too far gone. I put 3mL of natural yoghurt with probiotic into her crop with a syringe (all that would fit). 36 hours later she was perfectly fine. We now give all our chicks none medicated feed and a drop of probiotic yoghurt the second day. If you see blood in the poos give a second application. We haven't lost any yet!

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 02:39:13 pm »
idont use medicated  anything at my place ,, chicks and hens fine,,, maybe we  medicate too much nowaday
all naturel most plants that hens eat (weeds and flowers)  have medicinal qualites in them for hens and of course acv in there water

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 03:58:33 pm »
i work on non ACV feed now and then have coxoid to hand if needed to treat.   Basically if you keep your chicks on fresh ground, don't allow them to get too cold (protect them from the wind) then they should be fine. 6 weeks is the sort of time when they tend to get it, so just watch them carefully then. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS