Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: kubota BX2200 v Westwood T1800  (Read 7436 times)

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
kubota BX2200 v Westwood T1800
« on: June 26, 2009, 04:30:31 pm »
Hi, we've now been in our house for 9 months and as I've posted before, we have just over 13 acres. About 10 acres is cut for hay by someone who takes it in a contra deal. We have a field of about half an acre that is rough and on a slope, a field of about an acre and a half that is 'manicured' at the top end but was full or bramble and bracken for about half of it at the bottom. We've had someone in twice to brush cut that part of the field. We are now looking to invest in a compact tractor/mower. We know we need a 4WD as we have sloping fields. We want something that can now keep down the bottom part of the field that still has stubble in from bracken and brambles and we are told a 'high grass cutter' is essential.  The choice seems to be a brand new Westwood T1800 or a second hand 2006, low hours (from friend of friend) Kubota BX2200 with 60 inch cutting, both for around the £4k mark. We also have other areas of former yard and garden that OH is happy to do with his petrol Alpina mower as they are flat and well cared for. Of course, the salesman for the new Westwood says there is a waiting list for good second hand 4WD mower/tractors (he would wouldn't he?) so the chance of this supposedly (we haven't viewed yet) immaculate Kubota is appealing. But for us this is mega-money (the little boat will now have to wait ANOTHER year - luxury vs essentials!). All advice gratefully recieved, fast please as decision making day is Tuesday. Thanks very much.

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
Re: kubota BX2200 v Westwood T1800
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:58:02 pm »
hi starcana
i have an old kubota b7100d and its a gem, i dont do much maintenance but it keeps running and running, its a compact tractor with 3 pont linkage and a power takeoff so add ons like a single plough or a harrow are available for them, we have a roller, sprayer with boom + lance and a grass topper, i think the kubota you are looking at is much better than the one i have, but then also much more expensive.
i am a kubota fan

i think the westwood is really just a lawnmower with little else going for it, but i would guess that if you only want to cut grass it would do a good job, but for anything else (flexibilty) i would choose the kubota everytime.
but dont forget i am a kubota fan
kn

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
Re: kubota BX2200 v Westwood T1800
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:06:32 pm »
Hi
 The westwoods are lovely to look at and they cut grass like no other mower, and they give you Beautiful stripes, but thats where it stops they are just domestic mowers you can do lawncare with them but that really is it! The kubota you could do alot with and its a comercial machine with real power! We have a stiga ride on 16 hp and we have a yanmar 18 hp compact tractor and the difference unbelievable. compared to the stiga the yanmar has real horses pulling it. if you want something strong reliable and can turn its hand to most things ie Grass cutting,ploughing, rotovating, towing theres only one choice in my opinion i hope this of some use to you.
Gary

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS