Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Glad I had em scanned  (Read 2615 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Glad I had em scanned
« on: March 19, 2013, 10:53:58 am »
I put the tup in to my girls the 1st week of December. Nice may lambs I assumed.
Bought in a pair of Castlemilk crosses (same place as my original girlies so I have the full set now!) Who are due Early April. So I thought fab one pair to go soon, the rest in May excellent!
Got laughed at when I told farming friends I was having mine scanned, was told it was never worth the expense blah blah....

Bloody glad I did now.

Some sheeples had been very rude before I got them!
I have FIVE due anytime now, one end of April and my 4 original good girls and a newer one at their expected time.
One ewe lamb who wasn't supposed to be in lamb is, and one shetland who is supposed to be isn't ::) ::)

Just in terms of knowing when to start checking more frequently is worth the price paid IMO.
Now to learn to trust my judgment.... I thought some were looking to far along to go till May :thinking: :thinking:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Re: Glad I had em scanned
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:15:49 am »
Yep always trust your instinct.  :thumbsup:
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:43:12 am »
Scanning is the best thing.  We've had it done for 7 years now and those enormous singles and scrappy twins or triplets are almost unknown. It also enables us to take the old ones that were on their last lambing anyway and then scanned empty for cull and save them grazing precious grass through the Winter.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 12:34:56 pm »
We only have a few otherwise i would have mine scanned.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 01:32:00 pm »
Some of mine are looking suspiciously big- but I know if they were tupped by a precocious lamb then, according to whenI weaned, lambs would have been born on valentines day....they should be due on the 18th. I didnt scan this year because I'm on a penny-pinching excercise...hope it doesn't bite me in the bum.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 01:55:34 pm »
I just really like knowing I'm expecting another one out - so if it doesn't appear in due course, I can do something about it. It was more of an issue with the Roughs than the Shetlands.

And of course, to feed up the multiples a bit more.

I can also reassure myself that my goat Ellie isn't have quads, despite appearances   :D

Marlboro

• Joined Jan 2013
  • West Wales
  • 42 sheep, 5 ducks 10 chickens and Meg
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 05:58:31 pm »
My scanned triplet ewe had a lovely boy and girl on Sunday, two of the 'twins' have had a lovely boy each, only six lambed so far :roflanim: have had to pull three due to rather large singles fed as twins, well one had his leg back and had scanned as single. Only 21 left to go, hope the hogs are all singles as scanned.
They are very slow at getting on with it, large udders, large bellies just sitting around apparently content. I fear we are going to have a busy time soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS