Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly pig - what would you do?!  (Read 3600 times)

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Poorly pig - what would you do?!
« on: March 17, 2013, 07:37:48 pm »
Apologies first before I moan! We're off on our first trip away tomorrow in two years (since having pigs), found a pig sitter, ready to go. I'm 7 months pregnant and we're going on a 7 hour drive tomorrow to visit my poorly dad, and guess what?! We have a poorly pig! Typical!

At dinner time our year old gilt didn't come out for food. Huffing and puffing, hubby eventually managed to get her to come out, she had a couple of mouthfuls of food and a drink and went back to bed. No other obvious signs or symptoms that I can see. But what to do?

Should we leave her in the inexperienced hands of the pig sitter (who will be staying  at ours so can check regularly? Or cancel the trip? Hmph  :-\
Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: Poorly pig - what would you do?!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 07:43:38 pm »
I would go on your trip. I would have thought she was just having an off day just like you or me. Leave your sitter the vets number and get her to give you updates and then she can ring the vet if necessary.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:48:36 pm »
Same thoughts here at BB.  you are not going to have a chance to go away that often soon (with baba so close  :excited:) so just go!   You probably won't be able to do anything yourself anyway, if she is I'll. So I would just go, keep in contact with your sitter and leave her all the relevant numbers.  If your pig needs help, the vet will have to come out and see to the pig him/herself.    just make sure your pig sitter, watches the pig, puts clean water and feed in.  Pop in lots of straw, just to make her more comfortable (your pig, not the sitter  :-J)

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:59:43 pm »
i'd go on holiday ... mind you .. where you live, i'd already feel like I was on holiday  ;D

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:07:10 pm »
Hi mwncigirl,

I agree with everything that has been said, go on your trip and see your Dad.  I can't visit my Dad any more ... if I could I'd be there like a shot.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 08:40:33 pm »
Thanks guys, thats really reassuring. We're going to go  ;D  Sometimes you just need someone from the outside to tell you you're doing the right thing. All we would be able to do would be to watch and ring the vet if necessary.

Fingers crossed she's better in the morning  :fc: 

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 05:50:14 pm »
Thanks everyone, brilliant advice and panic over! We're now back from our trip and it seems Betty was just having an off day! Hooray!  :excited:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 05:56:08 pm »
mega  :thumbsup:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 06:36:50 pm »
Glad it all went well. :thumbsup:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 06:54:07 pm »
 :thumbsup: Phew!

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 07:19:14 pm »
That's good news

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 07:28:45 pm »
She's about the right age to get very hormonal approaching standing heat time,  Mine sometimes have a bit of an off day then.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 07:36:31 pm »
Hope you had a lovely time with your Dad and that he wasn't too poorly and enjoyed the company  :wave:

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 09:07:03 pm »
Ah marches, I wonder if that's it.
 I really appreciate the support. Really glad we went, and Dad was too. We're back just in time for the snow thats due tomorrow, so all in all, perfect timing!  :relief:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS