Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lone piglet what to do?  (Read 2549 times)

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
lone piglet what to do?
« on: March 17, 2013, 06:43:16 pm »
Hi everyone I have a little problem on my hands a friend of mine called to my house this morning with a piglet he found in his garden of his house as his house backs onto a mountain there is no pigs on the land or any other cattle its just a mountain he was not sure what to do with it and there was no sign of any other pigs he wrapped it up in a blanket and brought it to me. as I have a few chicks at the moment I put a heat lamp over it to warm it up and after about an hour he was walking around my living room not sure what breed it is or how old it is but I would say it has obviously left its mother so it must be old enough to servive on its own  I went to get some nuts from where my pigs are and it wolfed the lot down as I have no access to anything else it is a little underwieght so not sure where it has been eating or sleeping as we could not find any trace of anything near my friend s house andhe has no knowladge of anyone owning pigs near him shall I phone vet and get him out it seems fine now running around the kitchen I will put some posters up around the village tomorrow but if noone come forward would it be ok to put it with my kunekune after a couple of weeks in the house or not what shall I do for the best ahhhhhhhh please help

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: lone piglet what to do?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 07:36:01 pm »
Goodness, how peculiar! Sounds like it must have been dumped if there are no other farms/smallholdings around that it could have escaped from. If you put up a picture i'm sure someone will be able to tell you rough age and breed. It may be that you need to be feeding it on replacement milk formula if it is still very young. I would keep it well away from your own pigs for a few weeks to make sure it is not harbouring anything nasty.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:52:19 pm »
Keep well away from yours nots only from a disease point of view, but also because your KK's may not readily accept it anyway.  If nobody comes forward, you will need to contact AHLA as if it has no paperwork you'll have trouble moving it on anyway.  Be cautious.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:54:11 pm »
tomorrow morning phone Animal Health and they will advise

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:36:24 pm »
Hi everyone thank god some knocked my friend house saying that he had lost a piglet and had he seen it so down he came to collect found out he lives 6 doors away from my mate and he did not even know he kept pigs it is a GOS and it was 9 week old it had escaped because his daughter left the shed door open thank god he turned up as I really did not want a piglet on my hands

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 12:26:24 pm »
 :thumbsup:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 04:52:05 pm »
Not that saved you a lot of hassle  :thumbsup:

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 06:45:17 pm »
Doesnt't post  ::)

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 06:40:52 am »
Oh the legalities of bringing another pig on the land then off again  :innocent: 

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:53 am »
I love pigs in blankets  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS