Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep housing  (Read 10649 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Sheep housing
« on: March 17, 2013, 04:02:23 pm »
Given the weather this year, the prospect of more of the same if the climate is changing, and the consequent state of some of the pasture, I'm seriously considering housing the ewes next winter, probably from January until lambing in early April.

I've done a bit of reading but any tips would be gratefully received.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Sheep housing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 04:17:51 pm »
Sadly its going to be necessary to cut stock numbers due to the climate....I know this will not be popular but I can see a time when 2 sheep tp the acre will be the norm in winter  :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 04:33:54 pm »
We've been thinking along the same lines, and buying up as many sheds as we can.  It's not very technical, but we can't afford a massive wide span which would cover all the sheep, but allow plenty of air to circulate, so we'll just have to compromise.  We're also building an extension to our ancient steading for extra lambing space, as we had to keep them in longer than usual after lambing last year, and got very short of space.  This resulted in smaller pens and a very fuggy atmosphere, and at times, chaos!  We got away with it last year, our only losses being 2 lambs who died from the cold and wet after they eventually went out, but you can't go on pushing your luck. We do need to get on with the extension, as our main lambing is due to start at the end of the month, and we still haven't put the Southdowns out permanently.

We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

GaddesdenGal

• Joined Jan 2013
  • East Hertfordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 04:39:06 pm »
What flooring were you thinking of putting down Rosemary? We're building lambing shed and pens this summer and trying to figure out best layout of flooring and drainage.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 04:41:22 pm »
You are not alone. We are going to reduce our flock this year and look at housing next winter too.
I'd be interested in any housing ideas. Our hebridean sheep hate being in though so it'll be a challenge maybe
J xxxx

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 05:31:06 pm »
Sadly its going to be necessary to cut stock numbers due to the climate....I know this will not be popular but I can see a time when 2 sheep tp the acre will be the norm in winter  :-\

2? I only stock 1.5/ac in winter.

You do realise that now you are going to buy a building that we will have a scorcher this summer and the grass will grow like stink, don't you?  :excited:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 05:53:52 pm »

You do realise that now you are going to buy a building that we will have a scorcher this summer and the grass will grow like stink, don't you?  :excited:

Shhhh - that's my cunning plan  ;D

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 05:55:40 pm »
Our lambing shed was put up by the previous owner.  It's basically a pole barn with solid sides and a solid back up to about 60cm below the roof.  The front gates are solid up to about 75cm and we tie on 8' x 2' sheets of external ply at the top to keep the worst of the wind out over lambing then take them down for extra air flow when we use the shed for calf-rearing July-December.  It's divided by a post and rail fence into 3 sections and we house the single-bearers in one, twinners in the next and use the smaller section at the end as a nursery shed where the ewes and lambs are kept for a day before turn out so the lambs get used to going back to their dam and not trying to suckle from another ewe.  It's on sloping ground with an earth floor and we straw down generously every day, muck out thoroughly and lime it and leave it to dry before the calves go in.  Works well for us.  The area in front has a thick layer of scalpings so we don't tramp mud into the shed.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 06:25:15 pm »
Many people house their sheep in polytunnels over winter  :sheep: .  Not the all-over polythene type, but the ones with mesh sides.  Cheap, fairly easy to move and you have the option to grow your tomatoes in there in the summer   :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 06:38:24 pm »
Have you thought about straw bale housing, quick and cheap and can be dismatled when finished with.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 07:46:56 pm »
Many people house their sheep in polytunnels over winter  :sheep: .  Not the all-over polythene type, but the ones with mesh sides.  Cheap, fairly easy to move and you have the option to grow your tomatoes in there in the summer   :garden:

You have to be prepared to keep the top reasonably clear if it's snowing or the tunnel may collapse - happened to a friend of ours last year.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 08:31:06 pm »
My OH has put up a pole barn with a corrugated steel roof with guttering that drains any rain into a large water butt, and dustbin. We have mesh for the sides to keep out the worst of the weather and so have no condensation build up, the temperature is the same inside as outside.  It is surprising how well the mesh performs! Even in very windy weather!

Wooden hurdles are around the perimeter and we use the same for a hay bar and to move pens around as we need to.  We thoroughly muck out every week and put plenty of straw down on the earth floor.  the 60 odd girls we have in there seem quite calm and happy if a bit short of space, but they take turns at the water buckets, licks etc.  It seems to be working......but time will tell.

Gill

Cosmo

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Ludlow,Shropshire
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 08:51:16 pm »
I have heard of mesh from Galebraker that let's a steady airflow in but no wind or rain, has anyone had these?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 06:55:01 am »
Do you need planning permission for these barns/shelters?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 10:38:57 am »
PP depends on the size, can't remember what it is, but is easy to find on .gov  There are some really good ideas here, like the mesh, will have to investigate.  I was going to use ordinary garden windbreak on our pollytunnel, if it ever happens.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS