Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goose duck and chicken egg sales  (Read 8260 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: goose duck and chicken egg sales
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 05:34:02 pm »
£2.40p a dozen for hen eggs and £3.00 for duck eggs. It depends on the area where you live and in our case, that the local numb nuts are selling their for £2.00 because they aren't to cute on complicated numbers. :idea:

I'm definately making money on the ducks, ours lay way more eggs than the best hybrid hens, but at £2.40p I'm almost certainly losing on the hens eggs.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:36:54 pm by Over the Gate »

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 07:24:16 pm »
We keep all our egg money separate and it buys both our chicken and pig food.  Therefore I think I must be making a profit overall as I still have the pigs to sell!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 10:09:19 pm »
I ask for 1.30 hens and 1.70 duck eggs feed contribution. Ducks' more because the hungry gap/winter break is a few months longer than with the hens. I find that shops or stalls at fairs are charging about that much more for them, too. This year there will be no profit as the birds are over 100£ in the red. Last year we had a few expensive problems, which all go in the bird "accounts"  ;) :&>

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 11:38:34 pm »
With regards to price - there is a house along the road from us that sells for 80p 1/2 dozen and they go for £1.20 1/2 dozen at our local farmers market so I figure our price is about right.

Wow! That is really cheap. That's less than the battery, churned out supermarket eggs. I just can't work out how they could cover their costs of feed, bedding and routine meds on that price. Because wherever you live in the country, you've still got to at least cover your costs, otherwise you're paying for other people to eat (or maybe they're just kind hearted, generous people).

I've decided to go with £1.30/ half dozen chicken eggs (despite two others in the village charging £1 - again I just think that's too cheap when the supermarkets charge at least £1.50 for free range, organic which is effectively what we have and given that currently I'm still making a loss at that price) and £1.50 for half a dozen duck eggs. If I ever sell goose eggs, they'll be £1 a piece.

H

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 11:42:34 pm »
If we move onto a more commercial footing I expect we will increase the price.  At the moment we have livestock to gain experience as we are hoping to get a tenanted farm - we have also had ex-batt chickens for about 7 years as pets that happen to also give us eggs.

However, we are only selling to friends at the moment so we have to do no advertising, we never have any leftover and we can re-use boxes as they return them to us so our costs are low.  Obviously all these things will change if we get the farm.  Plus, I wouldn't want to publicly put them out at a low price as that would be unfair to the farmers market.

Donna

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS