Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmy goats are losing hair on their nose? Also electric fence Q - advice plse  (Read 9245 times)

ArcticFox

• Joined Feb 2013
Hi all

my two pygmy goats have gone bald on their noses, just on the bridge of the nose.  they have a good coat everywhere else, can't see any signs of bald patches elsewhere and the skin where the hairloss is doesn't look inflamed or sore. 

They are eating well and very bright.

Also they have a large paddock with a shelter, the problem is they keep jumping out!  naughty goatlings!  Anyway the paddock is too large to build a higher fence, so I was wondering if I could use offset electric fencing at the top to stop them from jumping over - Its only one out of the two that keeps escaping which is worrying me as i don't want the other one to get tangled trying to get out to catch up with his brother. 
I wouldn't just put them in with the offset fence either without keeping a close eye on them - in case there is a problem.  I just wanted to know if anyone else uses electric to stop them jumping out.

The paddock is about half and acre.

Many thanks in advance

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Have they been chewing at something wooden? might have rubbed hair off of their noses.

I've used electric fencing to keep mine in - it can work. We've had to put a line of it above the stock proof fencing now and one shoulder height to them where they kept rubbing themselves and pushing the fences over....(these are larger than pygmies though and very heavy!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Yes electric fence works, ours (dairy) have a single line on top of sheep-netting. If yours hhave horns than the electric nettting would not be suitable.

As to the bare patches on their noses, most likely rubbing off on hayracks etc etc. Quite common in winter.

richmorpygmygoats

• Joined Nov 2010
    • Show Qyality Pygmy Goats
Hi
Some of mine have done this. Chewing a wooden door!

I use aloe vera gelly to treat and makes the hair grow back. Its excellent stuff!!!
Breeder & Exhibitor of Pygmy Goats
   www.richmorpygmygoats.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
I have a bald nosed goat as well.  Where do you get the aloe vera jelly?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
does it work on humans ...  :innocent:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Goosepimple, have you lost the hair on your nose?   :innocent:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
 :tired:  yes
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

richmorpygmygoats

• Joined Nov 2010

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Yes electric fence works, ours (dairy) have a single line on top of sheep-netting. If yours hhave horns than the electric nettting would not be suitable.

As to the bare patches on their noses, most likely rubbing off on hayracks etc etc. Quite common in winter.

DO you mean electromesh sheep netting plus one strand or permanent sheep fence plus a strand?

YOu may have solved a problem for me :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Thanks for the info, Rich.

richmorpygmygoats

• Joined Nov 2010
Its great stuff. Even used it on a female that had c section to help hair grow back.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
just one ofmine has a little bald patch on her nose, presumed she rubbed it on the hay rack, it hasn't got any bigger over the winter, in fact seem to be going.
Electric fence - I run a single wire about 12-18 round the inside of the stock fencing, once they've touched it ( the cry they give out is quite heartbreaking, but at least my girls actually ran back to me,) - they are unlikely to go near it or the stock fence again, well for quite a while anyway.
I wouldn't use electric netting, esp if they have horns.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS