Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Garlic harvesting/storing/drying  (Read 4436 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Garlic harvesting/storing/drying
« on: June 18, 2009, 09:26:41 am »
Morning everyone!!

well, it's getting close to Garlic harvesting time

the leaves are turning yellow and starting to droop on a few of my garlic bulbs - but some are still looking pretty healthy

This will be my 1st garlic crop :-)

1. the ones that are turning yellow, i'll lift them now and i'll pop them into the shed for a week or so to dry out - at what point should i cut off the leaves?

2. of the plants that are still green and healthier looking, i've noticed they are developing small bulbs on top. i am asusming these are going to flower and set seed. Should i just cut these off now? and leave the plant to continue on it's way until the leaves turn yellow/brownish?

thanks
SB

Wellieboots

Re: Garlic harvesting/storing/drying
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 11:44:02 am »
I've just pulled 6 bulbs of my solent white (from the garlic farm) and have them drying in the greenhouse. My others, lautrec, elephant & ones whose names I can't even spell are all coming along nicely. I'd apply the potato principal, as in pull them when you want them and/or are ready to dry them for storage.

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:07:35 pm »
Hi SB, I normally dry the bulbs with leaves attached in the sun for a day then plait the leaves to form a bunch and hang them in the shed and just cut a bulb as required. Re the bulbs going to seed I would cut off the seed head and allow all energy to go to the bulb.
JD

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 05:54:54 pm »
if we have too much we crush them and cover with lemon juice in a jar. keeps quite long in the fridge. I suppose you can do the same with olive oil or vinegar, just peeled. :&>

hot house heroes

• Joined Jan 2009
  • prestwick
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 09:28:12 am »
the good lady planted her garlic in mid feb the leaves have now turned yellow she reckons there ready for harvesting any advice please ?????????????? were in prestwick  :hshoe: :hshoe:
its not a palace but its our palace

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:34:29 am »
i lifted on e a bit early and it wouldn't dry and it hadn't formed a clove and was a waste of everyones time - though it smelled fantastic

but i've since lifted a couple and popped them in the greenhouse - they dried in 2 days

the Future Mrs SB is now trying to tie them up in a nice plaid, but no luck yet!!!

i believe you can just hang them up in a net in a cool dark place and they'll keep once you ahve dried them

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 09:38:28 am »
I'd say lift one or two and have a look! I planted mine back in November and harvested them last week. I nearly called on the services of a mobile hairdresser to come and plait them,but got the hang of it in the end...... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 12:40:42 pm »
 don't worry about being unable to dry your garlic. The Italians eat the "Fresh" garlic almost as soon as it appears.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 03:02:38 pm »
don't worry about formed cloves too much, it will still be nice! I even bought one of these lovely woven baskets from Italy the other day (mine's not ready!) and they are the same.
Now that is a nice plait, Mr. Ree! :&>

aparker155

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 03:05:46 pm »

Whilst my garlic is growing I use the 'leaves' (? if that's what you call them) - it's a milder garlic flavour :yum:. I hope it's not just me - don't know where I got that from  :-\!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS