Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: We're expecting!  (Read 1098 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
We're expecting!
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:01:35 am »
I've just candled the duck eggs under our hen and I think four (half of them) are fertile. Soooo relieved! Clearly not wanting to count my ducks before they hatch but after the first lot was all infertile, I was worried this lot would be too. I also bunged a couple in the incubator with the goose eggs and they're two days behind but I think one of them might be as well (can't tell with the goose eggs - they're really hard to see). If it does turn out the one in the incubator is fertile, could I transfer it across to the broody even if it is two days behind? Or would it be best to try and transfer it across post hatch and hope she doesn't notice amongst the others? Just worried I'll end up with one confused duckling amongst the (hopefully) goslings - didn't think that one through, did I?

H

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: We're expecting!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 10:05:33 am »
Late eggs are abandoned by the mother so she can attend to the hatched chicks Hester. I'd go for post hatch. Best remove duff eggs (when you are sure) so the remainder can be covered better and no risk of then going bad and contaminating the area.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS