Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitis with twins  (Read 2401 times)

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
Mastitis with twins
« on: March 14, 2013, 11:43:01 am »
Trying to manage a shetland ewe who developed a chronic mastitis. She delivered twins yesterday(rams got out last fall) In the past I've tried treating with antibiotics with no change. 10 days ago,checking her found a scabbed over hole on the side of her bag. Pulled off the mess and drained huge amount of gunk. Washed off as best I could and started her on antibiotics again. She has one side doing fine right now. I don't have a available foster mom so was hoping she would only have one. I will end up bottle feeding but am hoping to keep lambs with her as long as I can. Am feeding extra colostrum right now. What should I be watching for in the lambs and her and how long can I keep her on antibiotics? Thank you

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Mastitis with twins
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 12:00:35 pm »
You have to take the lambs off her as far as I know.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 12:00:43 pm »
Colostrum is only absorbed on the day of birth so I wouldn't use more than is worth it, keep it back for another lamb that needs it. Milk replacer is what you need now plus milking the affected teat to rid the quarter of infection as well as using the antibiotics. She won't like it as she'll be very uncomfortable but it is important. Just keep go until nothing more comes out and aim for twice a day. I've never had mastitis in a ewe so soon after lambing. Makes life tricky for you and babies. Have you sprayed the area you've drained? 'Phone your vet for how long you should continue with AB's and to make sure you're using the correct one for mastitis. Some are better than others. Just make sure lambs are their normal bouncy selves with full bellies and are warm enough.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 12:27:40 pm »
I have kept lambs on a ewe with mastitis in one quarter, but i topped up three feeds a day with milk replacer.
The lambs are much more settled with mum than without her but you have to make sure they are getting enough milk or they will keep sucking her and make her life hell if she can't feed them enough then she'll get very sore and it all goes downhill from there.
Keep an eye on her and take each day as it comes if any of them start to look poorly or lambs look humped, pull them off and feed them seperately then dry up the ewe.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:59:33 pm »
I also have ewe who had mastitis three seasons ago, gave her year off then decided one last lamb before kebabing! She went on to have 3 cracking lambs and raised them all. She brought them to me for bottle top up and has produced another 3 this year. One seems to know I am surrogate mum and gets bottle feed.

Definitely happier  with mum and she loves her babies. Her lamb was a few months old before mastitis set in and half the udder flew off when we tried to catch re. Amazingly though it healed well and you can't tell unless you feel the teat.

Might be worth bottling lambs but leaving with mum if happy. Depends how tame she is. Heals quite quick if washed regularly with hibiscrub and sprayed.

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 01:10:09 am »
So far so good. Talked to the vet and he said to cover her with penicillin for 5- 10 days until the udder settles down.Also to rinse it out with betadine to flush as much out as you can. Babies are small even for shetlands but bellys are round and mouths are warm. Will try to get pics up tomorrow. I think the little girl might be only 2 lbs and the boy 1/2 pound more :) Since it  will be her last lambs I'll try to add feedings and leave them with her if I can. She is a really doting mama :fc: 

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 01:29:11 am »
Good news LL. Sounds like you've got her covered. Look forward to pics of the babies  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS