Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: stolen lamb  (Read 2142 times)

tricetra

• Joined Feb 2013
stolen lamb
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:23:31 am »
What happens when a ewe steals a single from another ewe to join her single. Does this cause any issues?

These two Brecknock cheviots ewes were hand reared by us 2years ago and they are first time mums. They are best mates and both have had singles. But the larger taller ewe has taken both the lambs on. I think it is because she is easier to drink from being taller.
Should I be concerned or let them get on with it?.

Sorry for all the silly questions,  although I have assisted lambing, I know very little about all the difficulties arising and books cant tell you everything.  :-\   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:48:45 am by tricetra »

Cosmo

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Ludlow,Shropshire
Re: stolen lamb
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:46:30 am »
How long have they since they lambed?

In the first few hours a ewe can be very charitable but later on dump the lamb and its real mother can reject it if she has not bonded with her lamb in the first few hours of life.

Hope this helps.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 10:21:40 am »
In the first few hours a ewe can be very charitable but later on dump the lamb and its real mother can reject it if she has not bonded with her lamb in the first few hours of life.
This.

Always try to make sure each ewe has her own lambs and no-one else's - they sometimes even fool you into thinking they've lambed themselves, but they haven't, they're just hormonal and have stolen someone else's newborn!  Sadly, once their own lambs do arrive, they are quite likely to dump the stolen foster lamb.

With first-timers it is a good idea to pen each ewe with her own lamb or lambs for 24 hours, and not let them out until you are sure they are properly bonded.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:46:22 pm »
Some times the stronger ewe tries to keep both lambs and won't let the original mother suckle her lamb, then you have to separate into different fields out of sight our sound or the strong ewe will pull the lamb back

tricetra

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 09:47:46 am »
I can give you an update. It looks like the ewe that stole the lamb has done the right thing. The other ewe has no milk on one side and mastitis on the other and both teats are very sore, sadly I did think this may happen.

these ewes both lambed 24 hrs between them about a week ago,  i had to take the one ewe in for 24hours as  it got very wet, cold and covered in mud due to her lambing on a mole hill in the rain!  so bonding was no issue. These 2 ewes are very bonded as sisters and had been previous hand rears themselves (so pretty tame and halter broken!)

WIll get the sick ewe treated and leave her lamb with her sister hopefully all will be well.

thank you for your kind responses.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS