Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stiff pregnant ewe  (Read 4808 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
Stiff pregnant ewe
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:05:58 am »
Morning. I have a ewe who is at 145 days and rather large; she wasn't scanned so not sure if she's carrying twins but my guess would be yes. Yesterday evening she looked stiff in her hind legs. She is eating and drinking well, has access to ad lib hay, nuts twice a day and a high energy lick. She just seems to shuffle with her back legs and finds it strenuous to get up and down. Does anyone have any ideas?

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Stiff pregnant ewe
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 07:16:03 am »
Could be the lamb(s) are laid awkward inside of her.

SWT-Flying Flock

• Joined Mar 2013
    • Flying Flock Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:45:58 am »
She could have subclinical hypocalcaemia. I would keep a close eye and consider treating for twin lamb disease and with calcium as a precaution.
Unique in Scotland, check out Scottish Wildlife Trust's Flying Flock and Herd of conservation grazing sheep and cattle. http://swtflyingflock.wordpress.com/

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:04:59 am »

Could be a trapped nerve that can make them stiff and akward, Keep an eye in her. :fc:

crazy_bull

• Joined May 2012
  • Huntingdon
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:55:02 am »
She could have subclinical hypocalcaemia. I would keep a close eye and consider treating for twin lamb disease and with calcium as a precaution.

This!

We have had several do this, this year they initially look a bit lame (nothing wrong with the feet) they then go down and struggle to get up, had 9 do it on day 2 after lambing, after a good dose of calcium solution under the skin and some energy drink (twin lamb gear or similar) they were up and about as if nothing had happened. If you don't treat it they die in most situations. Lack of Calcium this year has been a major issue in our area with several herds of suckler cows suffering where they have never suffered before.

It could be because of the attrocious grass growing conditions last year that meant the summer grazing had little value in it plus also the silage/hay fed over winter is essentially the same deficient grass.

All mine had adlib mineral licks and energy licks as well as 500gm's/ day cake and adlib hay.

The real test will be when the main flock start lambing in April (i hope it won't be similar) as we had 9 out of 21 do it, the main flock is 750 :-\

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 04:02:48 pm »
thank you for all your replies. I've been watching her closely and she is moving lots better, nearly took hubby out on her dash (quick waddle  :roflanim: ) to the stable door; she is a rather large unit at the mo. I'm hoping the lamb or lambs were just lying awkwardly but will continue to watch her closely

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS