Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: supplements for pup in recovery  (Read 5337 times)

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
supplements for pup in recovery
« on: June 24, 2009, 10:08:56 pm »
hi, i recently bought back one of my pups as i was not happy with the way he was being kept (its a very long story)
he was in poor condition and clearly hadnt been wormed since i sold him.
a month on i have finally started to see signs of condition coming through,
in addition to worming him i have fed him on pedigree chum puppy (dry) and supplemented his diet with raw egg, yakult and cod liver oil. i also gave him nutridrops when i first got him back!

should i change the supplements or cut back on them?
or is it too early to change what i am doing?

gem x
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:17:51 pm by CarraghsBorderCollies »
GEM. X

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: supplements for pup in recovery
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:13:01 pm »
If you are seeing an improvement keep on doing what you are doing.  None of that can do him any harm, adn will do him a lot of good.  Personally I wouldn't use pedigree chum, but that's just my experience.  There's a new food in the UK called Challenge which is made from natural products but I doubt if it's over your way yet.  Any change has to be gradual anyway, as you know.  I think the little lad has been very lucky to have you as his breeder, and I wish you both well for the future.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:39:14 am »
normally i dont use pedigree, i prefer james wellbeloved puppy but its not easy to get over here!
i have to go to the north for it and i havent had time as my wedding day is less than 2wks away,
the only other option is feedwell puppy and i will never ever use that again! i bought a bag once and never again.

gem x
GEM. X

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 11:44:00 am »
Wow, another TAS wedding!  It must be catching!

Hope all goes well with that too.  Keep us posted on the pup's progress - has he a name?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:57:30 am »
im still just calling him puppy although he did have the name ben with the people that originally bought him off me, he still responds to puppy and doesnt seem to know the name ben that well

any ideas for a name for him? hes a tricolour like his mother holly (the bitch pictured under my username)
his sire is an isds reg red+white called bran
GEM. X

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 05:05:41 pm »
How about Frenchie - as in Tricolore

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 08:05:42 pm »
update; pup is thriving and is looking well! although he is going through the funny gangly age and his ears look huge on him at the moment! he is still small for his age but i believe he will eventually catch up! i still havent named him but i will find something suitable soon enough!

p.s the wedding went well and i will post a pic soon!

gem!
GEM. X

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 08:08:28 pm »
Congratulations!  Mrs Gem!  Just thought up what I think is a good name for him - think of three different colours, think of food, think of bran, think of a mixed upbringing - think of Muesli!

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:34:23 pm »
when you said muesli my first thought was alpen i think that is what i will call him!!!!!!!!!

you can now call me; mrs gemma lyons! lol !
GEM. X

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 08:41:49 pm »
Alpen sounds an excellent name - just try explaining the roundabout way you got to it and people will say 'that sounds real Irish!' lol

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 08:51:59 am »
Congratulations, Mrs Lyons! And Alpen Lyons - I assume he will be "properly" adopted!

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 12:00:33 pm »
i only plan to keep him now until he is about a year old and then he will be sent off for further training as a working sheepdog and will be sold then! unless he makes trial standard and if that were the case he would be able to be registered with the isds on merit and i would be able to keep him!

gem.
GEM. X

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 03:40:44 pm »
Hello there Mrs Lyons

I bet that sounds strange -

I went for an interview for a job not long after I got married, and they kept coming out and shouting names, heaps of people were waiting for their interview, and at the end, I was still sat there waiting for them to call out my name - apparently they had, my new one, just was not used to being called it!   :-[   lol what a fool I felt.

How is Alpen adapting to his name?

I once bought a Cavalier King Charles from a guy, and he always addressed the dogs " come on puppys" when he walked them.
( She was a Ruby in colour and I wanted her name to reflect that)

After several attempts to call her Amber, and Ruby, I resorted to calling her "Poppy" as it was the nearest to "Puppy" and at least I could get her to come to me ;D

Just after I had my Daughter, a friend rang me, and I answered the phone as usual
"Can I speak to Tara's Mummy" she asked
It was a great feeling - and what a nice way to address a new Mum - remember this when talking to your sister-in-law.  Hope the visit to see the new baby goes well on Friday

Julie x

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 09:02:19 pm »
alpen isnt used to his new name yet but i expect it to take a while!
ive just bought a new bitch pup to add to my foundation bloodlines, she is another tri and is rough coated and very very bright
and she also has an exceptional pedigree to rival that of judy my other isds bitch!
her grandsire is t.dohertys tweed! her sire is a very promising young dog (kilcreen ben)
her dam is a lovely young bitch in training sired by english national winner;- d.rupers tom!

im thinking of calling her moss
GEM. X

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS