Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long before her waters break - update  (Read 11678 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
How long before her waters break - update
« on: March 12, 2013, 02:20:24 pm »
My first ever lamb is on its way (I think) The ewe has bagged up in the last couple of hours and can't get comfortable, alternating between lying down and standing up and making soft little grunting noises.
Any idea how long its likely to be before her waters break?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:16:01 am by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: How long before her waters break
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 02:26:44 pm »
Bionic - sure someone experienced will be along soon.

Most of our lambs arrived in the bags last year and didn't see any waters break as such, just the bag emerge with the lamb still inside. Don't know if that is the norm though.

Good luck  :fc: :excited:

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 02:31:42 pm »
I would say her water bag will appear shortly - within half an hour probably if she is getting up and down all the time.  The bag should appear and then a short time later you should hopefully see the tip of the front feet and very end of the nose appear.   Keep a close eye on her now but don't be too keen to interfere (stick your hand up inside).   With my ewes, the water bag bursts before the lamb is actually born.  Much patience is required despite how fast your heart will be racing!   Good luck - how exciting. 

The other night my ewe showed early signs of labour at 5pm and water bag appeared at 7pm so they do all vary.  Your ewe sounds quite advanced labour wise if getting up and down repeatedly though.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:52:02 pm by ZaktheLad »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 02:52:56 pm »
It could be 30 minutes, it could be 24 hours!

Try to be patient, and don't upset her by coming in to check too often...  ;)

Once the water bag is seen (which sometimes you miss as it may burst very quickly, or she may walk around with it hanging off the back for hours like a gory fashion accessory ::)), it would normally be within the next 4 hours that she goes into labour, or could be very very soon.

Did you get your ewes scanned - do you know how many she has in there?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:02:03 pm »
Sally, I have been sitting in the stable with her and no change. She definitely seems to be in labour but bag still hasn't broken although judging by some of the replies it could come away with the lamb. No, we didn't scan so don't know how many she is having.
Off to sit in the stable again with my hot water bottle  ;D

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 04:11:20 pm »
Hope she starts soon for you.
I am in the same Boat, sitting in the stable waiting for a goat to pop ! at least I have a connection on my laptop  ::)
Graham

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 04:30:15 pm »
Tip: sometimes they won't lamb while you're watching - something to do with being a prey animal  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 04:35:51 pm »
Think its a prolapse. On the phone to the vet now

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 04:37:40 pm »
Prolapse will be pink and look like flesh.  Lamb sac will be darker or white-ish and look more full of fluid.

Take and post or PM a pic, if you like.

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 04:53:43 pm »
How's it going Sally? (sat here slightly nervous for you  :hug: )
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 05:06:25 pm »
Hope the vet gives you some good advice. Fingers crossed for you. First time is scary but you'll soon get to know what is OK and what is not. Last year was our first lambing and we were checking all the time. Now much more laid back (and so are our ewes). Good luck x

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 05:30:06 pm »
Oh I hope everything went ok?  :fc: One of our ewes went into labour this morning and I was so worried luckily everything was fine so I'm hoping it's the same for you  :hug:

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 06:56:45 pm »
Wish my old bags would start lambing its day 147 and i have no damn fingernails left... and nothings even started to happen :( Hope your sheep is ok sally  :fc: :fc:  keep us posted.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 07:05:38 pm »
Just back from work and seen this. Very excited if she is lambing but also on edge in case it's not the case.
 :fc:

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 07:13:10 pm »
littlelugs, mine who lambed this morning was on day 151. I thought it was never coming out  :relief:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS