Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slaughter question!  (Read 1918 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Slaughter question!
« on: March 12, 2013, 11:58:53 am »
After alot of bad new recently and Last night losing someone I have worked closely with and look up to It was about time I had some good news!

I'm Buying a ewe lamb to keep my other ewe lamb Heidi company. Heidi Is in with my ewes at the moment and with them only 4 weeks away I dont plan on keeping her in with the ewes as she can be very rough with them! The lady with the new ewe lamb has also offered me a weather for free.

Now my question is. If He has a slaughter tag which I believe he has does he HAVE to go to slaughter by 12 months of age or can he go later? He is not ready to go by 12 months due to issues when he was a lamb. It is for my own use and I do not plan to sell any meat.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Slaughter question!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 12:04:52 pm »
The easiest would be to ask the current owner to change his tags to double/EID ones and move him with those tag numbers. The current owner just has to put the changeover in her records book.

Abattoir may not take them (and really shouldn't do so) with single/slaughter tags once their big teeth have come out, as they are definitily older then a year.

You can also upgrade from single to EID Tags once on your holding, but I am never sure if DEFRA may just moan about this.... My guess is there are loads of lambs this year in the same situations.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:32:15 pm »
After having a fight with Defra over upgrading to full breeding tags once the animal has left the holding of birth and then after the second holding I wouldn't be able to upgrade them. But I will try and see if they can upgrade him before hand

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 02:03:27 pm »
But in this case you would be the second owner, wouldn't you?  So you would be able to upgrade him.

I agree, though, much easier if the current owner will upgrade him before moving him.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 03:46:44 pm »
No the third as she got him elsewhere but turns out he has full tags. Can I send him at any age?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 04:32:44 pm »
If he's double tagged, yes.  They get tougher and fatter as they get older - but you can still use the meat, just requires longer slower cooking and being prepared to pour off the quantities of bright orange fat!  Tastes superb when cooked correctly  :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS