Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: moving house logistics  (Read 1731 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
moving house logistics
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:45:03 am »
Our house is on the market and I am starting to think about logistics. I have to move approx 30 sheep and 40 chickens and only have a small pony trailer. Does anyone know of a livestock haulier who would be able to round up the sheep and move them for us on moving day? They are all treated as pets so want someone who would be kind to them. We are in Oxforsshire. P

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: moving house logistics
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 11:55:48 am »
I would contact the local livestock auction place, as there will be several hauliers taking purchased animals to and from the place, and they will recommend the most suitable.
I did this when moving two cows and was pleasantly surprised by their handling of the beasts and also by the very reasonable bill I got later.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:02:52 pm »
Can you not do a few trips with your trailer? We have fitted 16 big ewes in a horse trailer comfortably and 40 chickens will fit nicely in the back of a car all boxed up!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:08:36 pm »
It would probably depend how far you are moving and what the access is to both (old and new) fields. The livestock hauliers may have rather large lorries. You would have to have them in a small accessible pen ready to load, but only one journey would be less stressful for both you and sheep.

Chooks in boxes safely packed into the trailer I think. You can get poultry carrier boxes, they are stackable and plastic mesh, so no issues with ventilation in a horse trailer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS