Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Straying sheep  (Read 6005 times)

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
Straying sheep
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:43:41 pm »
Where we live we have somebody (nearby being within 2 miles or so) who just lets his sheep stray all over and does not keep them in his own pasture.

These sheep have arrived on our land via one or two other neighbours and are now grazing nicely, there is amongst them 6-9 pregnant ewes and a few look near.

We have a few questions and hope some one out there can help.

1. We have our own livestock but we do not run sheep at present and do not have a flock number are we breaking the law with this?

2. Will this stray flock of 10 or so sheep prevent us moving animals to market off of our land as sheep cause a 14 day movement restriction on pigs will this effect us?

3. If one of the sheep does lamb on our land who do the lambs belong to, bearing in mind on the moors and such if the lambs are not with mother then anyone who has the land can claom them, so can we keep any lambs?

4. Who would we report this too?

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Straying sheep
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:32:16 pm »
Why can't you just phone the owner or take them back to his farm

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 08:10:11 pm »
We do not know the owner and when we asked another neighbour he said that the guy just lets them roam so shoot them, no one seems to worry about it, and to be honest I would not want to take somebody elses livestock in my trailer without there say so should any thing happen to them on route.

We were told if we called heim he would not bother at all to do anything, so we are in a quandary as to what to do.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 08:19:34 pm »
You say they came to you via two neighbours, so did they just chase them on off their land, can you not do the same

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:19:57 pm »
We do not know the owner and when we asked another neighbour he said that the guy just lets them roam so shoot them, no one seems to worry about it, and to be honest I would not want to take somebody elses livestock in my trailer without there say so should any thing happen to them on route.

We were told if we called heim he would not bother at all to do anything, so we are in a quandary as to what to do.

Tala

Sounds like you are being dragged into someone elses argument - I would still try and contact the owner and let them know. Lambs are worth money so I can't think of anyone who wouldn't want them back to be honest.

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:42:27 pm »
Chased them off twice now but they return as we have two pastures that are not being used and most of the other fields around us have been recently put to the plough. Would contact the owner if we knew who they are.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 08:58:52 pm »
Shouldn't be that hard to find the owner. When you have found them ask them to come and get the sheep and if they wont bill them for grazing and damage although I think alot depends on who is responsible for stock proofing your fence.

Are they tagged? If they aren't and they had been on my land for a while I personally would be catching them, tagging them and selling them as my own.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 09:31:26 pm »
I have a ewe here that turned up in January, she isnt tagged and nobody seems to want to own up to her belonging to them.
I think she may be in lamb so if she is I will tag the lambs and claim them as mine as all 3 farming neighbours have said she does not belong to them

I have tried to find the owner though and would think that you should at least try and contact the owner of yours to cover your own back
Graham

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 09:34:10 pm »
If you are up in the hills, it is entirely possible an untagged sheep was missed at gather and has been wandering around uncaught for most of its existence. Not probable, but possible.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 09:52:57 pm »
We are up in the hills but  to get to our land she has had to cross over at least 5 fields with sheep  in them.
or if she came in from the other side she has had to cross 4 fields 3 roads and a river
Graham

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 10:18:49 pm »
When I had stray sheep and neighbour disclaimed responsibility and no one knew whose it was I eventually went to council animal health. They worked out whose it was from the breed and the fact they were wandering (owner isn't known for containing them and has land rented all over).

I would contact them.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 10:26:38 pm »
Can you not send them back the way they came and strengthen the fencing?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 10:45:46 pm »
are they tagged?
Sheep

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 10:27:34 am »
Yes they are tagged, but not a problem anymore have moved to pastures greener. Trying to close gaps in fence swiftly.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 02:00:05 pm »
We are up in the hills but  to get to our land she has had to cross over at least 5 fields with sheep  in them.
or if she came in from the other side she has had to cross 4 fields 3 roads and a river
I'd say she's definitely in lamb, then!  (Since she clearly went to some trouble to find a tup!  :D)

What sort is she?  And is she tagged?  BH has a cousin up that way, has all kinds of sheep and ground all over the spot...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS