Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apricot and frost.  (Read 5163 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Apricot and frost.
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:31:54 pm »
We are forecast a cold snap and our Apricot is in bud and will blossom soon.
Can I assume that if we get a frost when the tree is in early bud then it will blossom when it warms up. I'm thinking that the unformed blossom is protected in the bud and can resist frost.
Any thoughts or knowledge welcome.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Apricot and frost.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 10:22:32 pm »
I think it'll be fine until the blossom opens but Apricots are hard to manage because they blossom so early. We had one in Switzerland than only fruited one year and always seem to be in blossom with snow and ice still around. Mind you, our neighbour got a good crop most years so I don't know whether he just had a later blossoming variety - I do know he went around with his paintbrush to pollinate because there was never an insect in sight at the time it was blossoming.

I've just planted two here and last time I looked at them they was no sign of active blossoming which given todays arctic conditions is fortunate.

Not much you can do apart from maybe put fleece or something over it?

H

denmylne

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:58:05 pm »
self pollination is an excellent idea, consider protecting the bloom with some sort of fleece or covering for a few days, the cold snap will pass

google apricots and find out more specific details about the type of apricot you have but remember the dates quoted will be for the continent or warmer climes, you need to compensate, nature might not take its normal course in northern climes, re self pollination. check out cross politation charts and questions of self fertility

apricots are thin on the ground where i live, good luck

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 08:52:07 am »
Not sure where you live denmyine but we are in central France. Latitude is not a problem but we are some way from the coast and quite high up so our winters are cold but short with a long growing season. The cold is unseasonal for us in mid March.
I will try wrapping the youngish tree in fleece and report the outcome. Ahh - just looked outside to see snow falling.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

denmylne

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 07:18:33 pm »
ah,

im in scotland Mak, I thought you were nearby, apologies, although the unseasonal weather is affecting us also, very warm followed by hard frost followed by very warm followed by snow, This causes havock regardless of what fruit you grow anywhere, Im in Newburgh fife, and there are a few apricots in gardens and orchards growing against south facing walls which will struggle this year. Last year the unseasonal weather caused devastation for apples pears and plums all over the UK. We all need to take the changing climate into account, i lived for many years near avignon and when the mistral blows, late in season,  it can cause severe damage
good luck with your apricots mon ami

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 08:36:13 pm »
I agree. We are all going to be challenged by the change in seasons. Be they early or late, dry or wet it is a challenge. To be honest I have been taken a chance on planting out or leaving a harvest. Last year we all lost fruit and nuts in our village but 2 miles down the hill they were collecting fruit as usual. Same with veg.
fingers crossed for this year as I have plans to plant early as I'm thinking we will have an early and warm spring. :fc:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 11:48:15 am »
Was wondering the same thing, MAK. I went out to our orchard yesterday and all of the blossom is open and frozen solid to the trees. Had  a rubbish plum harvest last year after the wind blew blossom off and then we had a late frost and this year looks like another bad one too now as I'm wondering if the blossom will rot and drop off.  Not good, need plum wine!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 05:35:17 pm »
Apricots inow n blossom after 21 degrees on Friday and 2 more mild days. We have storms forecasted so I just hope that they will not be too severe and the blossom survives.
I read that above the EEC compensation to fruit farmers our apple growers here in the Limousin also got a lump sum to pay people who would otherwise have been involved with the massive apple crop. Makes sense to preserve some form of employment for future years even though the consumers still got their large selection of apples etc from other parts of this large country.
Plums - we fed the pigs plums last year and forgot about 4 buckets full that I dumped in the hedge for the hornets ( bad mistake). How do you make plum wine? Mind you wine is cheap and just yesteday they were selling a premium Bordeaux for 71 € a case of 6 instead of 176€
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 05:37:58 pm »
I don't make it, MAK - husband does but he only managed about 400L last year due to bad conditions. We are hoping to sell via a vintner this year as its quite popular locally although its around 20% proof so got a bit of a kick. With wine at that price, its not worth making it really  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 05:51:33 pm »
Wow - can he get a licence to still some up to 40% ? He would really shift that here. We have mobile distillers but I have only sampled Poire William at local fetes.
Good luck with the vintner venture - exciting times!
We usually buy the wine on offer in the Autumn when they try and destock to make space for the next harvest. We save up to buy in bulk but rarely buy expensive stuff .
that said I am cooking  duck and our Toulouse sausage cassoulet tonight and have dug out a good bottle of red. Not long to go before the first glass!!
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 06:01:52 pm »
Haha Cheers then MAK - am on my first now  ;D

40% could be interesting!!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 08:52:06 pm »
Ok I am on my err ... well lets say I need a cheese course to finish the bottle. I am in pause mode and scanning TAS before considering the alternative  - a coffee and a 40% Poire William. Life is beautiful after a good day, great evening meal and a small glass of wine.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

denmylne

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 06:46:22 pm »
MAK

you spoke too soon. coldest spring since records began and it is still snowing.

mmm cassoulet de castelnaudary, and a bottle of rouge which stains yer teeth, I doesnt get much better than that

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 07:43:03 pm »
Cassoulet- well it was up to its usual standard - fantastic :innocent: . Our neighbours grandaughter live in Castelnaudry and her husband is a local lad. They laughed at an English man making cassoulet until we gave their grandma a portion with our own Toulouse sausage.Of course a Frenchman would never concede that an English man can make one of their dishes as well as them especially his towns "signature dish".
Rabbit and wild dry mushroom pasta tomorrow so I need to find someone from italy to try it.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 09:21:37 pm »
MAK is it still warm with you? I gather there's a line through Northern France between the awful cold, northern spring and the pleasant, normal spring below. My apricots are still holding off on the blossom - I've only just planted them so I'm not supposed to let them fruit anyway so it's not too bad either way.

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS