Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to take soay lambs to the butcher  (Read 2771 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
When to take soay lambs to the butcher
« on: March 11, 2013, 12:45:58 pm »
I am getting 3 soay wether next week about 6/7 months old I want to know when to take them to slaughter I was hoping before next winter at about 11-12 months

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
Re: When to take soay lambs to the butcher
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 01:58:27 pm »
Normally about 18 months upto 2yrs fot the best results I think with Soays. Are you sure they are 6-7 months old? That means they would have been born in August/September which is very unusual for the breed.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 02:02:34 pm »
I thought that but she said there that age. I don't mind keeping them for winter but someone said there funny with the hay they eat!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 02:12:39 pm »
Ours eat the same hay as the other sheep.  They do like some browsing such as willow branches, but will survive without them.

Soay are very much seasonal breeders so are usually born in April or May.  We have found that sending them off at 16 months in August works well - they have a reasonable carcase size but any uncastrated males will not have picked up a taint.  However, keeping them on for a further year to 28months, especially if they are wethers, will give you a better carcase size.  Don't expect a fat lamb though - Soay don't do that  :D

In common with other Primitives, Soay tend not to put on any condition over the winter, and can even drop back a bit in size over the winter months, so you are best to send them off in the summer when they have had a few months on really good grass, whatever their actual age.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:14:19 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:40:45 pm »
My mrs will be attached by next winter haha so they won't be here that long. If I take them at 12 months will they be nothing off them

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:59:31 pm »
Not a lot, no  ;D      Those last 4 months of spring and summer grass make all the difference.       But it's worth double checking when they were born.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS