Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping Pigs  (Read 3843 times)

Angus

• Joined Jun 2009
Keeping Pigs
« on: June 21, 2009, 08:37:20 pm »
Hi - new bloke here - hope I've signed in ok.
We've got a plot about 17 foot by 20 foot. One side has laurels, the other side has a walnut tree. We'd love to keep pigs in this space but won't if it's not cool for them. Can anyone tell me if it's a good space & is it true we need to keep two for company?
We'd be keeping these pigs for meat, not pets - but they'd have a very happy life.
This is a genuine enquiry - this is something we'd love to do but desperately need some direction / assistance from people who know what they're doing.
We're looking at having Gloucesters or Wessex / Essex Saddlebacks.

We need guidance,

Look forward to your reply

Angus

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: Keeping Pigs
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 08:44:51 pm »
Hi Angus

Yes you would need to keep 2 pigs, and no this is not enough land to keep them on.  They would trash it in a couple of months (or less!). 

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:47:45 pm »
Hi Angus, another thought for you - I have a feeling that Laurel is poisonous!  I'm sure someone with more experience than me will know for sure.  Sorry your start on this forum and pig keeping is not off to a great start!!!

Mary B

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 11:05:01 pm »
Hi

If you want to keep pigs but haven't got the space yourself, is there anyone around you that you could share this with?  I've got involved with a local community pig breeding scheme which is great - we share the costs and the work, and the pork.  We know the pigs have been well looked after, and it's a great social thing too.  It's also helped us to learn loads.

Good luck -

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 08:32:10 am »
Hi and welcome.  You should always keep at least 2 pigs, as they are very sociable animals.  Ideally they should be sent off together so that one is not left alone to pine. 

Theoretically you could keep pigs on an area that small, although I doubt the quality of meat would be much more than the usual supermarket stuff.  The cost of compensatory feeding would make it prohibitive, without a Colditz type fence you would be unlikely to keep them in such a small area.  Within a couple of weeks it would resemble either the Somme or the Gobi desert dependent on weather.  If you have neighbours you would be inundated with complaints, quickly followed by Public Health Inspectors.  If DEFRA gave you a holding number for pigs for such a small area.

This does not read like much of a welcome but to encourage you into keeping pigs in such an area would be contradictory to the ethos of this site. 

On the other hand if its not too dark and damp chickens would be a good source of protein as meat and eggs.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:47:10 am »
Hi Angus...welcome to the forum...unfortunately I ditto Hilarysmum; your plot is too small for pigs or indeed any four legged farm animal ...a limited number of chickens would be fine or rabbits perhaps (both good for the pot or as a potential sale item); alternatively, use the land for growing veg (or do both) and save on living costs.

Don't give up on your ambition to keep pigs...its the most rewarding adventure you will ever experience...just find a bigger plot; minimum 1/2 acre if you want to bring on a couple of weaners to a decent size for pork and bacon...(I recommend GoS as a starter breed; easy to handle, a joy to be around and some of the best tasting meat in the porcine world...now wait for the responses from my fellow forum members!!!)

Whatever you decide...good luck

Farmer
 :farmer:

donny

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Weymouth, Dorset
  • Do you know this breed??
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:41:27 pm »
I have just cleared a bit more of my garden, 20 foot square and would only entertain 6 ducks in it let alone 2 pigs...
I would imagine that amount is probably good for one only.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 01:43:33 pm by donny »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 06:37:42 pm »
No its not big enough for one pig, and its cruel to keep one on its own. 

Angus

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 07:25:00 pm »
I'm very grateful for all your replies - it's exactly the guidance I needed. Fear not everyone - we won't be keeping pigs on my proposed plot. I'm as pro porcine good living as any one of you & will not subject any animal to conditions which are unsuitable.
We've thought about chickens & we've already got the biggest vegetable plot that our garden will allow.
Time for a re-think. Hopefully our neigbour will fall on hard times and we can buy his garden for £5.
Until such time, I'll be watching this site & still nursing the hope that one day, one day, we'll have piggies in the back yard.
Contemplate on how fortunate you all are - those that have the space and motivation - I envy you in as deep a sense as I admire you.
All the best to all of you
Angus

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 07:35:44 pm »
Hi Angus

If you are still keen on "getting your hands dirty" you are more than welsome to come here amd "muck out" my animals, hee hee. I hope you realise your dream soon, don't give up.

James

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS