Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another fox in the cage this morning.  (Read 3098 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Another fox in the cage this morning.
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:28:11 pm »
Before people start about how cruel it is.  Having spoken to the farmer, he expressed concern at the condition of both foxes caught. They were in a very poor state ....either through some disease (mange, TB maybe?} They were probably starving, and risked the trap to get the dead hen out of desperation.

In my view, they are better off shot  than starving to death, and maybe our poultry will be a bit safer with less foxes around.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Another fox in the cage this morning.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 11:42:54 pm »
Glad you are looking like erradicating your problem with a binus of putting struggling animals out of their misery in a humane manner  :thumbsup: It isn't  nice but neither is finding your brood slaughtered  :'(

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:46:08 pm »
I have had to resort to keeping my hens inside until lunchtime, as foxes come calling during the morning.  Even when I am at the farm supposedly keeping my eye on them, a hen seems to disappear!!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 06:51:56 am »
It's a difficult one. Confinement seems to be your only option yo keep your girls safe  :-\

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 07:18:02 pm »
Not cruel Roxy  :)  just keeping numbers down, so long as do-gooders are leaving out scraps and stuff the numbers are going mad.  Our trap goes back to its owner tomorrow, the fox population here has been humanely reduced and at least 2 dog foxes with severe mange have been put out of their terrible misery.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:20:24 pm »
We caught a buzzard in ours the other week, no foxes though :'(
Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 09:30:07 pm »
Last time we had snow back in january we had fox tracks all over the place. They'd obviously been checking out our chickens but nothing taken thankfully. This morning we had a covering of the white stuff again and I'm pleased to report the only tracks were rabbits and birds, no sign of Mr F. I know that someone about half a mile away has had a problem and that some shooting has been happening so it may be that they got it.

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 10:12:03 pm »
Year before last we lost 30 chooks and 5 ducks, mr fox came in broad daylight as well as at night. He managed to almost clear the village of chooks.
Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 12:12:57 am »
so long as do-gooders are leaving out scraps and stuff the numbers are going mad.  Our trap goes back to its owner tomorrow, 
did anyone see the programme on bringing puppies into this country, the threat of rabies was mentioned, Its only a matter of time, I've said for some time now that these do-gooders will change their tune when that sweet little foxy is passing a deadly disease to their pets, children and even themselves if they are daft enough.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS