Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This Afternoon  (Read 2759 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
This Afternoon
« on: March 05, 2013, 04:03:34 pm »
Such a lovely day that I just had to work outside. Did some moving of plants and cut down branches of the Willow trees that were hanging over the fence while throwing dog toys to keep  Rascal and Jake happy. No housework done but who cares have to make use of the dry day. also repaired a fence so all in all I have earned myself a glass of wine this evening, just a small one.  :innocent:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: This Afternoon
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 04:18:15 pm »
Its so wonderful today I did not want to come back from my dog walk, I adore being outside and yes, no hoovering and the dinner is ready (left over from last night)
Sadly, one of our hens keeps digging up the bulbs, cheeky thing keeps getting over the fence into our more formal bit of garden!!!!!
Heres to more happy sunny dry days!!!!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:34:57 pm »
It is amazing how quickly the house can degenerate after a day or two outside. I've done loads outside today - and noticed even more that still needs to be done - at least the veg and soft fruit patch is all set for the season ahead  :thumbsup:. Meantime my house has been wrecked - or rather just not sorted by the house fairy.

H

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:36:19 pm »
Thats one thing that maddens me having a B&B, the house is priority  :(

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 04:20:00 pm »
Well today is so cold with a bitter wind that its hard to believe that yesterday I was working without a jacket on. I have started a few seeds of in the pollytunnel. In the Autumn I took a few cuttings from my black current bushes and just stuck them into a pot of compost. Delighted to say they are all showing buds. Never done this before, so, do I  pot them on into bigger pots or when the weather improves just put them straight into the garden.?

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:05:01 pm »
I lightly raked the beds that I had dug over in December and planted a kg of onion sets. Parsnips tomorrow and I may chance a short row of carrots ( no polytunnel though).
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:24:50 pm »
Would the onions cope if we got frost. I fancy giving them a go.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 08:26:58 pm »
Would the onions cope if we got frost. I fancy giving them a go.

As far as I know, they thrive on low temperatures. Might depend on the variety, though. I always use the autumn planting ones these days.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:06:32 pm »
Yep, onions and garlic should be fine through frost - mine have been in since the autumn although, to be fair, not much growing has happened - the longest shoots are a few inches long. I noticed that the red onions have only just started growing at all so I think autumn planting was a bit ambitious in their case (and some of the bulbs have rotted).

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS