Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Guinea fowl v fox  (Read 4168 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Guinea fowl v fox
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:16:51 am »
Has anyone had guinea fowl killed by fox? Are they good flock protectors ?

Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Guinea fowl v fox
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:04:30 am »
i was told there good protector s

was suposed to be getting some today ,, but with the weather ,, will be delayed a week

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:24:20 am »
I have heard that 6 will make enough noise to scare a fox away. They are very flighty so i would be surprised if a fox could catch one in the open. I've seen them with chickens and they are rather bossy. very popular dish over here. Plenty of Youtube vids on line of them in action so you can judge for yourself Mojocafa.

Julestools

• Joined Mar 2013
  • In my shed
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:45:42 am »
Our guinea fowl always used to roost in the hedge (Leylandii) outside the hen pen. If anyone/thing came down the drive they would start making a noise...... lots of noise. Never had much trouble from foxes though
These days (no guinea fowl) the collie spends all day hearding the hens around the orchard

The Lint Mill

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 09:01:02 pm »
We had 7 out of nine killed by the fox in nov/dec,  roost high but looked like an early morning strike as they are always on the ground from (very) early light.

The noise they make seems not to deter our fox.......sadly
www.thelintmill.co.uk
follow us on Twitter

@TheLintMill

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS