Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which gander stays?  (Read 1620 times)

Legs

• Joined Jun 2011
Which gander stays?
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:02:57 pm »
Last spring, our Embden gander (Bruce) really turned against one of the young geese (Clara), hurting her wing to the extent that it needed vet treatment and causing us to separate them at night.  Clara didn't lay any eggs last year... and she came out of the winter looking decidedly butch... more like a Clarence than a Clara, really!  So that was probably the root of the sexual angst last year! :idea:  Instead of a happy trio we had two ganders for one lucky lady, and Bruce was determined to assert himself as alpha male.  This spring, Clara/ence has again had to be housed separately at night and, during the daytime, he is a bit of a loner, keeping his distance from Bruce and Amy.

Anyway, I've just procured another goose (definitely female this time!), I want to drop my numbers down to three again, and am wondering about which of the gentlemen should stay... Bruce, the older, bullying one, or Clarence, who doesn't exactly command a manly influence but who may step up to the mark in Bruce's absence?

Any advice most welcome,

- Tim

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Which gander stays?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:07:03 pm »
Since geese prefer to bond for life and live for many many years, about 25 I think, I would keep the existing gander with the harem. Anyway Clarence will taste better!!  :excited:

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:45:52 pm »
Hi,as per the previous answer,I don't think there is a choice the ladies have made there choice.

Graham.
Graham.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:12:59 pm »
Not answering your question but following on from it, is it possible to keep two or three pairs together? I'm hoping to breed from my pair this year and would like to keep some of the offspring so I have two or three breeding pairs. My plan was to swap around some of the youngsters with other breeders so siblings weren't breeding but keep my current breeding pair as well i.e. I'd rather not have my existing gander breeding with all the geese because some will be his daughters. If they're equally balanced male/female, will they co-exist OK? I know it doesn't work for cockerels/drakes at those ratios but I've a more romantic view of geese - and my pair is very in love!

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS