Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Typical Saturday night problem ewe  (Read 4014 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Typical Saturday night problem ewe
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:31:50 pm »
I brought a ewe in this afternoon who had been stretching And moping around all morning. She should have lambed by now at 148 (never goes that long) anyway still nothing.

She has been digging up the bed and lying down a bit but no sign of water bag or lamb.  I checked about 6.30 and she is dilated but I couldn't tell what I could feel. Definitely didn't feel like feet/head but if it was bag maybe I wouldn't?

She was quite tight but I am concerned in case lamb breached but don't want to interfere too soon and lose it.  What would others recommend? She generally doesn't show much sign of pushing. Doesn't like being watched and lambs often standing up.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Typical Saturday night problem ewe
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:58:55 pm »
The majority of my ewes lamb at 148 days and they can go 152 days, so I wouldn't get too concerned that she is at 148 days but normally lambs before.  Personally, I would leave her a while more and see what progress in a couple of hours time.  Sounds like she is more in the early stages of labour and I wouldn't interfere for a bit as you can do more harm than good. 

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:03:40 pm »
I'd give it time. She might be in labour - has she bagged up?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:07:19 pm »
She's been bagged up for about 8 weeks!! I have to watch her as she always rejects one or two lambs. Normally they just pop out unless a leg back. I have had a couple with complications (a tail and one leg/breach) so don't want to leave her too long.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:19:21 pm »
When you have had a run of difficult lambings it is really easy to get overly concerned that all your ewes will be the same and this is not always the case unless you are extremely unlucky!  I would sit on your hands for a few hours more.  Have to say that if I had a ewe that consistently rejected one or two lambs she wouldn't be with me any more  :innocent:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 10:27:44 pm »
When you have had a run of difficult lambings it is really easy to get overly concerned that all your ewes will be the same and this is not always the case unless you are extremely unlucky!  I would sit on your hands for a few hours more.  Have to say that if I had a ewe that consistently rejected one or two lambs she wouldn't be with me any more  :innocent:

Seconded - any ewes who won't mother (there is evidence it is learned (or not) in the first few hours of its life) end up as kebabs and I keep a lamb from a better ewe or but another ewe for £20 or so over the cull price.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 04:11:45 pm »
Actually this was her last batch as I have had enough. Having said that my concerns were right, when I went out at 10am just a bit of bum poking out! Managed to push it in and find the legs eventually. Pulled out 2 backwards And one whopper normal presentation.

First one was touch and go as been folded in half so long couldn't eat rear end to work and some fluid in chest didn't help. A few hours under heat lamp, made up colostrum and a bit of tlc and she is fine. Well except thAt mum decided otherwise and keeps pushing her away. Did accept other two though.

This was closely followed by another set of triplets all normal but mum struggling with milk so topping up with goat and Lamlac. Finally got to bed at 4am.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 07:29:18 pm »
Still having a hard time scots girl . For members reading this , if you need to warm a lamb , twin /trip in a heatbox , lamp , aga or similar , always take all the lambs and put back when the poorly one is warm, give all colostrum  if  time is an issue ( need colostrum within 6 hrs of birth ) then the ewe should not reject a lamb. I f you take one and leave one the ewe will only bond with the lamb she has

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 08:26:58 pm »
Yes i am having a bad year! as if nit bad enough the only ewe who hasnt lambed and not much udder showing came out if shed at same time i was coming round corner spooked, tried to jump fece and lifted ablut 3" of skin/hair off her face! stupid twit. have sprayed with terramycin but dont know whether to cut off flap.

as for ewe, I left all lambs with her and we fixed lamp in corner.she cleaned all 3 but I couldn't have removed all lambs as it took until 4am to get her walking which would have been over 6 hours.  For a while I thought she was paralysed. She is allowing it to stay with others and I still hope if it can get enough food from her she will give in and take it. She has before.

Good advice though shep53, I will remember that for future years. I was amazed how quickly it chilled despite me bottling colostrum. Went down within the hour after birth .

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 08:51:50 pm »
I use powdered colostrum, all triplets get this just to be sure they get enough

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 08:59:34 pm »
Me, too, if I haven't enough frozen from last year.  A good does of colostrum inside the small ones or on a very cold night just helps get them through those first 3 critical days.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 09:51:09 pm »
Yep that's what I did but she was weak possibly due to delay getting out. Bum was against cervix for over 4 hours before I got her out. I think she might be getting food when I'm not there as belly seems full and only took about 100ml at 5 and about 50ml at 9.

Goats milk has been a godsend too.  Pity I haven't got enough to go round. Lamlac will have to top up.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 08:26:06 pm »
Actually this was her last batch as I have had enough. Having said that my concerns were right, when I went out at 10am just a bit of bum poking out! Managed to push it in and find the legs eventually. Pulled out 2 backwards And one whopper normal presentation.

Its sad to hear that you are thinking of giving up - had you thought of getting something easier lambing and lambing in april outside? Last year I had 102 ewes to lamb and I helped 2 ewes out of the lot - all others born and up/sucking unassisted.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 09:06:26 pm »
Sorry that was a bit confusing. Not giving up completely just that ewe! Well actually two of them as one wild mule likes to lamb in May so doesn't catch til December. Either that or not pregnant. My other mule only has one functional side of udder but she is better natured, great mum and keeps having triplets. Hard work but good return.

I have one Wiltshire which I do love and put to Suffolk ram produced a cracking lamb. Only thing is she is very noisy and I haven't worked out how to turn her over without the horns getting in the way.

You have wiltshires don't you Steve? Do you get good weight carcass and do they do well on little grazing? I love mules but they are so skinny it worries me.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 09:32:14 pm »
I have Wiltshires, Lleyns and woolshedding composites that are some kind of cross  - some wilts/lleyn some with other genetics in. I've not been at this size flock long so I'm playing with genetics.

My ewes for fat lamb production go to a SufTex bred to 'do' off grass. I got them from Peter Baber who has a very good reputation.

Wilts do produce a good carcase, but they do tend to finish heavier than the composites, probably as they are big sheep. They can be tricky to turn, they are big and spirited, hence why I am breeding polled easycares - I still run 30 or so pure Wilts ewes though.

All my ewes get nothing but grass (hay if there is snow or they run out the grass and I can't move them) and mineral buckets close to lambing (have had scats bog standard 'sheep' buckets since the snows) - old biddies get a beetlic hi mag as the lambs start to come, but thats as spoiled as they get. All are wormed to FECs every 8 weeks or so (more often for lambs - I fec every 3-4 weeks), last year most grown ewes needed worming twice only. All lamb in April out of doors, all who produce them are expected to raise trips. Anybody that fails to perform goes as soon as is practical. I rarely pull a lamb, I tag etc at birth and then leave them alone. Seems to work for me so far, I struggled a bit last year, but when I speak to other sheep farmers, I seem to have gotten off fairly lightly.

Hope all/some/any of that is helpful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS