Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe losing bloody mucus  (Read 5947 times)

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
Ewe losing bloody mucus
« on: March 09, 2013, 07:40:42 pm »
Hi,
One of my ewes lambed twins on the 1st of March, I did give her a hand as her waterbag was a 'bloody' colour and I was worried something was wrong.  1st one out was small ewe lamb, 2nd one was quite big ram lamb, one of his feet was tucked backed but once I got that right she lambed okay.  Cleansed okay as far I could see.  She developed a dirty and bloody bum two days later so gave her 6ml Alamycin LA trimmed off all the dirty wool and washed her tail that was quite matted. I had noticed she was still losing a bit of blood before hand but thought this normal due to giving birth.  But the last few days she is still losing blood and I'm finding 'lumpy' mucus in her straw bedding in the mornings. The blood is quite bright red. 
She's eating well, looks bright eyed, looks after her lambs etc.  Should I be worried that it's still happening after 9 days.

You are never to old to learn something new

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ewe losing bloody mucus
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 07:58:37 pm »
Speak to your vet sounds like she shouldn't still be passing large blood clots, a haemorrhage after lambing can be serious and may need stitches
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:07:16 pm by shep53 »

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:58:56 am »
Always best to give AB's straight after lambing if you've had to intervene in any way. You said you gave her an injection a couple of days later after you'd noticed the bleeding. Did you see the placenta by the way? Agree with Shep53, best to be on safe side and get a vet to check her over.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:10:34 pm »
How is your ewe?

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:52:34 pm »
How is your ewe?
Sorry been busy trying to keep everyone warm (we ran out of heating oil last night :cold: :cold: :cold: ) thought of going out to the barn and snuggling down with the girls - thanks for the replys.

Believe it or not she seems to be all okay no blood for two days now so keeping my fingers crossed that it was just a lingering from giving birth.
As they come in overnight with this cold weather I can keep an eye on her.
Just got one more to lamb - four in all - so far all have had twins.
You are never to old to learn something new

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS