Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broad Beans.  (Read 3790 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Broad Beans.
« on: March 09, 2013, 07:09:03 pm »
Does anyone know it its possible to grow broad beans in large pots instead of straight into the ground? I'd have some sort of support for them, that's not the problem, its just that we dont have any plot for veggies, but I do have a bag full of bean seeds.
Thanks,
Maryx

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Broad Beans.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 08:09:50 pm »
Don't see any reason why not!  One to a big pot give them the best chance.  good luck - be interested to hear how you get on.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:27:52 pm »
I'm sure it will be fine, they don't really root deeply but are very greedy so plenty of manure in to start and feed regularly once flowering

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 09:37:11 am »
I did broad beans in a large round container last year, worked out fine!  :thumbsup:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 11:43:15 am »
Thanks folks, pots it shall be then. Great cos Ive got loads of pots!!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 08:49:13 pm »
Ive now discovered potato growing bags which can be used for other veg too. I'm going to do my beans in some as well as growing a few spuds as well. I'm really looking forward to getting started. I'm getting a propagator on Monday to start my seeds off when they arrive, then Ill re-pot into those jiffy pots ready to put into the growbags or big pots. I'm going to need an awful lot of growing compost when the time comes and some muscles to move it!!!I'm going to get SO fit!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:01:52 pm »
Good way to help you lose weight as well, Mary.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 08:14:45 am »
Good way to help you lose weight as well, Mary.
Ooh dont remind me Lesley. With all the cold weather and snow we've had, the odd slice of bread has crept in to my diet. I no longer have the October deadline, but Im still doing my best for my own satisfaction.

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 08:36:34 am »
Plant a nasturtium plant in the pot too as black fly love BB but love nasturtiums more :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS