Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: After Advice please  (Read 1614 times)

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
After Advice please
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:32:49 pm »
Last week one of our ewes gave birth prematurely to ewe twins both who died  :( . She was approximately 4wks early but had been butted at the feeder prior to going into labour. After having the lambs she shed the final afterbirth and i gave her 5ml oxytetracyline.

She has been fine but today i noticed she was still bleeding, the blood is fresh and there is no gunk or smell although her tail is manky. Should she still be bleeding? Its not a great amount  but is blood all the same. She is fine in herself eating and drinking normally.

I am going to administer another 5ml of oxy.. obviously its the bloody weekend and i don't want to call the vet unnecessarily but of course will if needed should i maybe give her a shot of pen & strep instead?
Should i try and wash the gunk off her tail now or will this lead to stressing her more?

Any advice greatly received
Lea

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: After Advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 03:51:00 pm »
There is usually a little bit of blood or discharge for a couple of weeks but only a dribble and definitely not constant. If behaving normal it should be ok and if there was no human intervention with delivery unlikely to need AB. Different maybe if lambs were dead and rotting inside.

Call vet Monday for reassurance.

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
Re: After Advice please
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 03:54:16 pm »
Yeah it is only a dribble, originally gave AB because she took a couple of hours to dispel the afterbirth so was just as a precaution really. would obviously prefer not to stress her by giving more and as said her behaviour is bright as a button. So thanks for the advice i can stop worrying so much now. will speak to the vets Mon am.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS