Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who wants head? Pigs head that is.....  (Read 2358 times)

acrown64

• Joined Nov 2012
Who wants head? Pigs head that is.....
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:55:29 pm »
Hi guys, I just recently killed two of our saddleback gilts. When we went to collect the carcass the only offal I got back was the kidneys. Most disappointing is that I didn't get the heads back. Has any body any experience here when it comes to getting back the head/ offal from the slaughter house? I intend to ask for it next time we take ones to slaughter but I just want to gauge whether they will give them back or not.
Thanks in advance.
Alastair  :pig:

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Who wants head? Pigs head that is.....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:54:24 am »
if we want the heads back we usually ask for it on the cutting list.

liver should come back unless it has been rejected by the MI.

if you give them cutting instructions make sure you write down everthing you want back.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:03:46 am »
I would get a good book or use the www to understand the numerous cuts that can be got from the animal then make a cutting list. The "hidden cuts" as I call them are the less obvious and the ones that could be taken from you as a "perk". Shoulder and collar meat can be cut in several ways and I have even heard of people not getting the tenderloins back. Maybe the best way around this could be to ask for each side to be cut into 3 ( fore,mid and rear sections) with the 2 halves of the head, liver, kidneys and heart. Buy a good saw and knife and you may be a bit surprised how much meat you will have as cuts and trimmings for sausages etc etc Making bacon, hams and sausages is not difficult and less time consuming than processing the head.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:39:52 am »
Our abbatoir usually ask if we want the heads. Not everybody wants them. Liver, hearts etc should come back to you without having to ask for them.

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 09:24:19 am »
We ask for all the bits and bobs back, including cheeks, heads, trotters etc. It seems a shame to waste them really and I always think, the whole pig is ours so we should get it all back!
Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:27:15 pm »
We have used 3 different abattoirs and all of them have always given us the head and cheeks back, we have never had to ask for them
Graham

Caemadoc

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:22:05 pm »
In my experience it depends on the abbatoir and the day of the week, whether the tide is in and where the moon is! In faireness if I specifically ask for heads/trotters etc I get them. With the OSB which are my loves, I often find the need for the"hair scrape" in the abbatoir precludes the return of the head and more importantly for me the "cheek."

I am guessing that if I don't have them, then the Butchery attached to the abbatoir has a result on the sausage front, personally I am not to bothered as long as the good bits make it out to food and not land fill!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS