Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drum carder  (Read 5001 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Drum carder
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:34:31 pm »
I have just email Paul at Classic Carders and am hoping to go and get one tomorrow.   :excited: :excited:

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Re: Drum carder
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:50:23 pm »
Hi,
A drum carder is on my wish list, bet you are soooo  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:, they look to be so satisfying to use, please tell us how you get on with it.

Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:20:54 pm »
Going there at 5pm tomorrow.   :excited: :excited: :excited: Now I just need the fleece to put through it.

morven

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:56:40 pm »
I love my drum carder - bet you will love your one too!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:11:19 am »
MGM I bet you won't be disappointed  :excited:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:52:02 pm »
Went to Paul's workshop this afternoon and bought my drum carder.   :excited: We were there for about 45 minutes as we also met Mandy, his wife, who is a spinner and who runs a spinning group.  I had already heard about the group from the person who sold me my wheel but it's good to know a couple of people before you go somewhere new. Had a lovely chat about spinning and came away with a carrier bag of fleece as what I have been trying to spin is very dry.  Paul told me how he got into making drum carders.  Mandy had an Ashford drum carder but she was going to buy another one as she wanted one for carding finer fibres.  Paul thought they were costly and that it would be better if the drum could be changed so he had a good look at hers and made her one.  She took it to the spinning group and several people there asked if they could buy them.  It grew from there.  He now has a purpose built workshop in the garden of their 16th century farmhouse, overlooking their sheep and bantams.  It was a lovely place and they are lovely people.  I have instructions to phone if I have any problems with the carder or with spinning in general.

The group meet on the third Saturday in the month which, unfortunately is the same day as my writing group although one is morning and one is afternoon.  My book club used to meet on the evening of the thrid Saturday as well but we have changed that.  Just as well.  I'm going to be pretty tired after a mornign writing and an afternoon spinning.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 09:58:49 pm »
Wow, that's a great find. No doubt one day I'll be in a position to get oneso will keep you in mind for your contact  ;)
On the spinning group note, I now attend 3 when I can as life make regular visits difficult. Each group is very friendly and no amount of members are eager to help on any question.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:54:08 pm »
I'll have to see if there are any more in our area.  Once a month isn't really enough when you are beginning and need lots of help.  I may well be calling on Mandy as well as the person who sold me the wheel and who has given me her number.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 02:38:18 am »
My sister found a weekly evening spinning group - they just meet for a couple of hours, but the progress she has made is phenomenal.  Mind, she does also go along to pretty much every other interesting meet in her area - she did her Friday evening group, a workshop all day Saturday and Winghams on Sunday a few weekends back!   (What have I started...  ::) :))

And a group of people I knit with have arranged a weekly lesson at our LYS (local yarn store) and are making fantastic progress too.  With the hourly rate split between three or more of them it doesn't cost a great deal and they are getting top class tuition.  (Mind, they are spinning every week somewhere they can buy wheels, fibre, yarn...  that LYS owner is no fool! ;))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 09:01:55 pm »
I've been preparing the fleece ready for carding.   :excited:   It's lovely fleece with a good crimp and very soft.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS