Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pruning Time  (Read 2289 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Pruning Time
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:16:34 am »
I've promised to prune a friend's apple and pear trees. Now the problem is that it's pouring with rain. I don't mind pruning in the rain but you're not supposed to prune in the rain - or the wind or conditions below freezing. Since pruning is supposed to be between Nov and Feb, I'm pushing it on dormant timing anyway. Should I just go for it? It just seems a bit much to be able to find a day in those months when it's calm, sunny and above zero - do you wait for those conditions?

Hester

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Pruning Time
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:31:31 am »
I think the advice not to prune in the rain applies primarily to summer pruning? As long as the pruning cuts are at an angle that allows rain to run off rather than collect/saturate you should be fine.

Dip secateurs and any other tools you're using in a 10% bleach solution between trees to stop cross-infection - we didn't do this last year and spread canker, needless to say we did it this year!  :)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 12:22:53 pm »
Feb is usually the last month for pruning but it depends if the sap is flowing and thus latitude,climate, type and variety. For example an apricot is not far off flowering here whilst you may find a pear tree still in "winter mode" a bit further north from us .
If there are signs of budding on the tree then I would probably not cut a branch but may nip last years shoots.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 02:46:23 pm »
I went for it! They were desperately in need of serious pruning - somebody had taken the haircut approach a couple of years ago so there were lots of strong verticals cut off about three feet up - horrid looking - and the centre of the trees were getting no air so loads of damp moss. Decided that nipping out buds was not going to be enough so I've had lots of fun! I only saw one active looking bud on any of them so hopefully it will be OK. I think the season here is a little later than yours MAK although probably only a week off but that's why I thought I'd best get it done.

I scrubbed and disinfected my tools before I went because I was more worried about spreading stuff from here but actually hers already had canker. I should have cleaned between trees though - one was definitely more affected than the others. Must remember the bleach solution for next time - how long do you leave your tools in there for? Could I use a washing soda solution instead - like for hive tools?

Now time to dry off!

Hester

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS