Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Padock size  (Read 5944 times)

PIGBOY

• Joined Feb 2013
Padock size
« on: March 03, 2013, 06:33:52 pm »
Hi guys, i was just wondering can a paddock be too big? Im hoping to get some goats and i'm unsure whether to get a experienced milker and a kid or two kids, the paddock is about 4 acres so would this be too big for either option?
Thanks

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Padock size
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 06:54:05 pm »
The size itself wouldnt be a problem but they wouldnt make any impression on it, it would grow quicker than they eat it.
I would however give them a small area to start with untill they get used to you and used to coming in as 4 acres is a big area to try and catch goats that dont want to be caught  ::)
Graham

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:10:17 pm »
Why don't you give them a smaller area and strip graze them. Maybe get someone to make hay with the rest to see them through next winter.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 09:12:27 pm »
We have 4 acres but only use about one and a half for the goats, split into 2 paddocks. You can rest your grazing that way for worm management.  Our excess land has a few sheep on it (who barely make a dent, bless them!) and we have made hay in the past.
Agree with other posts about having them in a smaller area especially so you can keep a closer eye on them and for ease of catching.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 09:13:15 pm »
HOw do you guys get your goats to eat grass??

Mine won't! They eat the nettles etc and anything I like to cut and carry to them but i cannot get them to graze grass ::) ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 10:24:03 pm »
Try putting a fence between them and the grass.  They'll nearly break their necks trying to get at it.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 03:16:34 pm »
Honestly don't know CW! mine just love grazing and I think (well I'm pretty sure) that's why we have a maiden milker each spring.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

salopman

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 07:44:02 pm »
Im not a goat keeper but a goat lover and im always amazed when people say goats don't graze, in petting areas/zoos they graze, in small herds in grass fields they graze,in the mountains of Switzerland they graze, Ive seen them in farms here and they graze in paddocks and fields, i Know they love twigs/browse but I think if there were grass they would graze? Just my two penneth...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 07:52:43 pm »
our goaties are in quite a big field but they tend to stick close to their house and don't wander very much at all, they are quite homely little things and have their favourite sun spots etc.  If you don't want to fence off an area (it does cost money to do these things after all, even if it's moveable fencing) then just have a few props around they might like to play on or some containers for browsing vegetation and it creates the feeling of a smaller environment but they can still wander if they want to.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 08:20:26 pm »
Im not a goat keeper but a goat lover and im always amazed when people say goats don't graze, in petting areas/zoos they graze, in small herds in grass fields they graze,in the mountains of Switzerland they graze, Ive seen them in farms here and they graze in paddocks and fields, i Know they love twigs/browse but I think if there were grass they would graze? Just my two penneth...

Mine have grass but still every summer I have to bring the sheep on several times to eat the grass down. Perhaps I should stop the hay and make them eat it in the summer?
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 08:53:05 pm »
Mine do 'graze' but not as low as sheep do, (except just now when gras is very short). They do prefer branches and will gnaw bark off if they get the chance (managed to convince OH it was rabbits stood on the deep snow  ;D ).
IF possible I think it would be ideal to fence in half, make hay in one half then you can turn the goats onto that half when fresh grass has grown, giving them a boost just before winter. Even better would be into 4 and rotate grazing, but fencing costs money.
My front field is 4.5 and I wanted to divide it into 3 strips, but I could divide it into 4 quarters for very little more fencing, hmmm, glad this subject was brought up, made me think before I started wasting more money  ;D .

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 09:19:22 pm »
We only have a small field- half an acre. But they do graze it- not as far down as sheep do though! They would prefer rougher ground with trees and shrubs, but don't have it here. They did eat out all the marsh grass for us as they love it! We sometimes get orphan lambs, and they really tidy up the field compared to the goats.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 09:54:18 pm »
The goats tear at it randomly but the sheep come in and munch the grass down to mm's of its life! Ideally the goats graze it first, then the sheep to get it short but then it needs resting etc for worm control....

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 07:20:48 am »
Our lot will graze but only after they have taken any longer stuff from around the edges. They then prefer to stick their heads between the fence rails and get the stuff off the edge of the drive
Graham

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 07:33:33 pm »
I have 5 girls and a billy on 5 acres they use only a tiny amount, and i have to pay to get it cut twice a year >:(
Mine will graze but its old pasture full of wild flowers, that said they are more interested in browsing on the willow and brambles
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS