Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Regular visitors to our meat rabbits.  (Read 3949 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Regular visitors to our meat rabbits.
« on: March 07, 2013, 05:39:10 pm »
We have never been troubled by wild rabbits but since taking down the electric pig fencing we noticed rabbit tracks in the snow coming down the hill between our 2 barns to visit our buck. I saw 2 at 05:00 the other day and notice that they sit and poo on areas previousley used by our buck as we move his run around the lawn.
I know that rabbits are very sociable but the amount of wild rabbit droppings suggest that they have a party every night.
Anyone else noticed wild rabbits visiting their stock rabbits?
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

deepinthewoods

Re: Regular visitors to our meat rabbits.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 05:51:20 pm »
just fyi, rabbits have 2 kinds of poops green and black, the first green ones are eaten communally, the black ones are left. if their sharing, you could get disease from the wild ones, but you could also gain immunity as that is the point.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:21:48 pm »
Not personally (they'd have to get through walled garden, past the dog, into building...

But I've heard of it with others.

Wasn't it Watership Down where they went and nicked a couple of pet does?  :innocent:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:36:12 pm »
Yes I have been whisteling "Brown Eyes" all day.
Only black poos DITW but we will take care where we place the bucks run next time we move him. The does are well fenced in their run although one has been digging like mad.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 02:14:27 am »
Rabbits do have middens , wild ones will also come to yours rabbits midden on the look out for a spare handy opposite sex .
If you want RHD / VHD / Calsi 9 sp ) virus or myxomatosis in your stock  using a common midden  is one way of getting it,  for fallen rabbit fleas and infected midges etc laying eggs can/will hang around it for several hours in warmer weathers
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:25:39 pm »
thanks Plantoid - ours rabbits are now all secure in their cages, The female who found her way out at night to "play" with the wild rabbits has now had 10 kittens. We believe the sire was a wild rabbit and he has now stopped visiting her and sitting outside her run. All our meat rabbits are now secure and well away from the wild rabbits ( and healthy).
We will ensure that we keep them apart from the wild ones - Thanks agin Plantoid.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS