Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What spinning wheel  (Read 9133 times)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
What spinning wheel
« on: March 06, 2013, 01:23:28 pm »
Hi,

I have been using my drop spindle since the new year, and I'm totally hooked, I've now decided that I really need a spinning wheel, but I have to save up, so I will have some time before I will be in a position to purchase something, so to all you people who spin, which wheel would you recommend, and are there any that need avoiding, and would it be best to try different wheels first before buying, as there seems to be lots of different systems to consider, ie: double drive - scotch tension etc.
Also what other bits and bobs would be needed that perhaps don't come as standard with the wheel.

Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: What spinning wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:46:43 pm »
Just spotted this so we are both getting into spinning.  I found my wheel on ravelry.  It's an Ashford Traveller.  It comes with it's own bobbin holder and spare bobbins but you will need a niddy noddy if you don't already have one.

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: isn't it?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:07:32 pm »
I'm new to spinning too ( 6 months ) and I love my ashford traditional. I guess it's just what feels right. If you can try different ones you have a good idea of what will suit you.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:13:26 pm »
I'm a big fan of the Ashford Traveller too, although I have a couple of other wheels.  The Traveller is very neat so it takes up little space, is easy to take around in the car, tied into a rear seat belt, and it spins very well.
It is definitely worth trying a few wheels before you settle on one, as preference is a personal thing as in so many areas.   Ashford wheels are very functional and plain, but I like that.  Other wheels such as Kromskis are very ornate, Louets are ultra modern in their looks.   I have a Lendrum Saxony which is beautifully made and so amazing to spin with, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner - there is a Lendrum...um...don't know what it's called but it's a castle type; they are very popular, modern looks and have a wheel which slopes.  People who spin on them love them dearly, so it would be worth investigating.

For a beginner, Scotch tension is the easiest to manage, and I find a double treadle easier on the legs than a single.

Lazy Kates are sometimes integral as with the Traveller, or they can be free-standing.  You will need spare bobbins, carders, a niddy-noddy or two and if you are going to produce yarn in any quantity a ball-winder is helpful.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:15:51 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 04:54:50 pm »
Cheviot, are you Papoosue on Ravelry?

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 07:45:57 pm »
Hi,
No MGM I'm Cheviot4 on ravelry, but don't go there much.
Thank you all for the replies, it looks like Ashford wheels are popular, I've looked at Louet wheels and I really don't think I could live with one of those, they may be brilliant for spinning, but I like a more traditional looking wheel.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:53:22 pm »
It's just that Papoosue was asking the same questions as you.  I shall look for you on there now.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 09:09:17 pm »
Sue, I just mentioned your nearest Guilds on Lesley's thread.  One of the things about Guilds is that they often have wheels they can loan out, or members do, and members often advertise their wheels for sale through their Guild.

And you can certainly have a jolly good look at many different wheels, and talk to people about their strengths and weaknesses, and maybe even be offered a go on a few, at a Guild meeting.

If you're on Ravelry, have a chat with spinningfishwife; she's in the Edinburgh Guild and ever so knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.  I think it's that Guild will be doing something at the 2013 Scottish Smallholder Festival at Lanark - I don't know if Isabella (spinningfishwife) herself will be involved.

Just seen that there's a Yarn Festival in Edinburgh on Sat 16th March - could be worth a trip up?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 12:33:04 am »
I've just caught up with the papoosue thread on Ravelry.  Edinburgh Guild certainly do have wheels they can hire out but you have to be a member and you have to prebook a wheel. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 08:13:16 am »
Hi,
Thank you for the info Sally, I will certainly follow up on your suggestions, I was hoping there would be some spinners at the smallholder event.

It's spooky that two people name Sue, from Scotland should post almost identical posts.

Regards
Sue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 12:55:51 pm »
Only one wheel.... LENDRUM. Beautifully made, in between modern and traditional looking, can be carried easily and mine has so far not needed any maintenance....

They do take an age to come once ordered, as they are produced in Canada (nearer than Ashfords though...)...

At some point (when I am allowed a second wheel... :-J ) it will have to be a Schacht though...

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 06:41:49 pm »
Hi,
Well, I was going to wait untill the back end to buy a spinning wheel, was going to try out different wheels so I could make the right choice, but after the incident with the man that had a cardiac arrest, I decided to sod it, and now have a wheel arriving on Thursday  : :excited: :excited: :excited:  have been busy carding fleece so I don't have to do any for a while and can play practice spinning a yarn.
This is the wheel I decided on, http://spinwise.co.uk/?page_id=174
Roll on Thursday.
Regards
Sue

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 06:46:38 pm »
Don't know anything about spinning Rapunzel but glad you got it, you deserve every niddy noddy of it Sue  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 07:37:51 pm »
Excellent choice  :thumbsup:

If by any chance you don't get on with it, it's such a popular wheel you'll resell it no bother.

We shall love to see pics of your first yarn  :)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 09:18:43 pm »
It looks a lovely wheel, Sue.  Looks like you will be very busy for the coming weeks  :knit:   :excited:  :knit:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS