Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 3299 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
Quick Question
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:49:25 am »
I am getting my lambing kit together, I would like a heat lamp just in case, looking at the different ones available what wattage does everyone use, they seem to range from 150-250watt. I will use it in an outdoor shed, i am aware of keeping the ewe away from the lamp and making a creep.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
Re: Quick Question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 11:57:14 am »
Here I have to use them for the first few days with all newborns as it's so cold. I use 250 watts. The ewes do tend to try to get under them so have a good solid brace they can't break. I see them often laying with their heads under the lamp corner to be close to the lambs which is fine as long as they can't get their backs under it.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:02:14 pm »
I would go for 250W and I recommend having a dry run first.  If you need it you'll probably need it in a hurry so figure out first where you're going to hang it, how you're going to keep the ewe away and take a thermometer and work out how high it needs to be, bearing in mind that it's the temperature at the height of the lamb that counts, whether lying down or standing up, and if it's in a poor way it won't be able to move away if the lamp's too hot.  We always pop a jacket (rectangle of old sweatshirt or similar, with crosses cut at the front where the legs go through) onto small lambs or those born on a very cold night.  It just seems to give them that extra bit of protection and gets taken off by day 3.  I know the "our ewes lamb on the hill with no intervention" boys would think us soft in the head but our scanning to weaning losses are generally 2% or less, not 20%!

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:04:15 pm »
Thanks for the answers, like the jacket idea, sure the OH can do with out some of his!!

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 01:55:46 pm »
With regards to the jumpers etc. I have used small dog jackets/jumpers in the past. You can buy these really cheaply at the end of the christmas holidays when they are in the sales because no one wants to buy a dog jumper with a christmas pudding stitched on in the back in Jan . You can get all sorts of sizes which can accomodate your breed of lambs from tiny yorkshire terrier to spaniel sizes. I did draw the line a t buying one which had reindeer ears though  :roflanim:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 02:44:55 pm »
we used these last year and they saved a few lives!  :sheep: :sheep:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SnuggleSafe-Microwave-Wireless-Heatpad-Fleece/dp/B0014LJKUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362580983&sr=8-1
They stay warm for upto 10 hours and are completely safe - no wires.  Also good for old dogs who live outside  :dog:

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 03:24:16 pm »
Another vote from me for the heat pad - I have one that has also saved a few lives, including a few poorly hedgehogs!   Wouldn't be without one in my cupboard as such a useful item.

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 04:10:25 pm »
Thanks Shep, ordered one I can see my old terrier might rather fancy this, lets hope the lambs will not need it :fc:

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 04:39:45 pm »
oh those heat pads look great, might order some of those for next year. Thanks for the link :wave:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 05:47:40 pm »
I also have one of those heat pads and use it for the rabbits, they are great, would definately recommend. I know my bunnies try to chew mine but they cant make a dent, very durable

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:59:14 am »
We can't put electricity across to our barn so have resorted to the jacket occasionaly.  I made ours by cutting a raglan sleeve off an old jumper and cutting four holes in it for the legs.  the cuff goes round the lamb's neck and the top of the sleeve hangs over it's bottom.  Second hand shops are a great source of cheap jumpers!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 11:40:41 am »
I have used the heat pads, most recently for picking up/transporting day-old chicks/ducklings and popping it into the bottom of the box -they were all snuggled up on top of it! Neat little thing to have.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS