Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig carcass fat percentage - what's ideal?  (Read 2411 times)

drlizw

• Joined Jul 2012
Pig carcass fat percentage - what's ideal?
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:15:24 pm »
Hello!
Just got my 4th batch of 2 porkers back from the butcher, (and spent the evening sorting out various joints into quarter packs for customers) and i'm feeling quite chuffed as this meat looks the best so far, with really nice marbling in the shoulder joints, and about 15mm-20mm back fat.  Used a new butcher this time, and he pointed out what the figures on the label that came back from the abbatoir - the fat percentage. So the 2 pigs killed out at 71 kg and 20% fat, and the other 75kg and 25% fat. 
What I'm curious about is what percentage of fat would be ideal? My pigs this time were British lop x large black,  and that is what I've had before, or pure large blacks.  My impression is that this batch had less back fat than previous ones... But as I didn't notice the label I don't really know!
Not that I know what I've don't differently - same feed, same routine, and same breeder... But I'm looking forward to tasting them!
Cheers
Liz

HappyHippy

Re: Pig carcass fat percentage - what's ideal?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:57:47 am »
If everything's been the same feeding/rearing wise, my guess would be these might be leaner because they've been raised through the winter  :thinking:
We've never had a percentage of fat noted on the labels though - that's handy.

If you're fatter batches were from summer raised pigs, I'd suggest that you could cut back a little on their feeding to reduce the fat a wee bit more (if you wanted too) but 15mm is good for a traditional breed  :thumbsup:

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Pig carcass fat percentage - what's ideal?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:41:28 pm »
Hi DrLiz,

what do you want to make with your pigs?

For pork 15-20mm of back fat would be concidered the upper end of ideal but highly desirable from RB pigs.
For dry curing, sausage making and salumi you need or want a good quantity of high quality back fat, the best fat is that which has been laid down early so a little extra feeding through to 50kg is nessesary then taking them up to 90kg+ (I runner mine up to 75/85kg for pork-7/8mnths and 130/140kg for curing- 12mnths)

So with what you have produced you are on a good track.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS