Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best place to sell pork???  (Read 2152 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Best place to sell pork???
« on: March 05, 2013, 06:20:18 pm »
Got 6 OSB X GOS boars ready for pork I couldn't eat that many if I tried I want to sell 4 as full butchered pigs what I was thinking is £140 per pig? I'm in abergele north wales dunno we're to start asking!

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
Re: Best place to sell pork???
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:37:00 pm »
Azzdodd, would £140 per pig even come close to covering your costs of rearing them? and if you want to rear more in the future for selling then your customers will be expecting the same price!
If they are ready then you may have to sell cheap if you have no space to store the meat.
Maybe for the future make sure you have the customers (and deposits) all lined up while they are young ;)
I only 'do' pork for friends and family and 3 out of the 4 that are going off soon are already pre sold (the other one for us) and I could have sold more. BUT I still have to make a bit on them and I am looking at £250+ per pig possibly more - all buying are delighted as they had samples of the first ones :thumbsup: and they were yummy :yum:
Just don't sell free range tasty pork short :innocent:

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:43:02 pm »
Truth is I bought them at 5 months old for £30 only had them 28 days so for now it's ok I was just wondering do people sell to butchers or anything?

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 07:49:01 pm »
Hi Azzdodd,

The fact that you have only had them 28 days and only paid £30 is immaterial to me. If you sell them cheap this time you'll just be lining yourself up for problems next. I would be reluctant to go below £60 / quarter.

If you make a profit this time you have something to offset against the inevitable vets bill (for example) at some point in the future.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:09:48 am »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but butchers would be unlikely to be interested (we've asked, as have many others  ;)) butchers have long standing contracts with suppliers, suppliers who can supply X amount of pigs per week with X amount of fat, for X amount of £££ - they don't normally have any need for a few extra. But ask anyway, you might get lucky  :thumbsup:

I'd suggest advertising locally, posters offering a half pig or full pig for sale and arrange for them collect it themselves from the butcher who's doing your cutting (saves the bother of registering with EH and trading standards) I'd also echo the point about not selling too cheap, okay so these pigs haven't cost you that much, but what about your next batch that might ? Folk won't be as keen next time round if there's a price hike between the two batches and you've got to consider the other people in your area who are raising pigs and selling meat - if you undercut their prices you'll not make yourself very popular  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS