Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farming4All - project in Borders area of Scotland  (Read 2475 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Farming4All - project in Borders area of Scotland
« on: March 05, 2013, 04:56:14 pm »
This is an amalgam of an email exchange that I've had with Helen Henderson. This sounds like a good project but it needs volunteer support, so if you are in the Borders area and can help in any way, please contact Helen direct.

Personally, I would have loved this opportunity had it been around when I was 14  :)

"Farming4All
I am contacting you with details of a new project supported by Scotland's Big Lottery Young Start Fund.

The project is aimed at 14- 16 year olds who live in the Borders area who are not from a farming background.

The idea behind the project is to introduce these young people to farming and the related industries by way of an out of school hours youth club. It is hoped this will encourage them to consider agriculture as a viable career option on leaving full time education, thereby helping to keep the younger workforce in the area.

The participants will, over a two year period, experience all aspects of farming and related industries, by way of talks , visits, and hands-on experiences. In addition there will be a "mini farm" where the participants can grow their own produce and sell it at local markets. They will also receive some formal training in related disciplines such as first aid and health and safety.

At the end of the two year period the participants will receive a Certificate of Achievement which they can add to their CV, outlining their commitment to the project and what they have learnt. This project is managed by a Social Enterprise training provider and it is envisaged this award will become a recognized achievement.

If this is something you think your members may be interested in, I would be grateful if you could pass the information to the relevant people. If you feel that your organisation would like to be involved in any other way, we are looking for a small number of volunteers to assist the young people in establishing the mini farm area.

Our idea is to run this project like a young farmers club, but aiming it at young people who have no farming knowledge so starting with the basics and working up. We want to arrange visits to all kinds of establishments from the big arable units to smallholdings and farm diversifications, to highlight all the different employment opportunities available. In addition to the trips we would like to organise speakers on a range of subjects who would come to us and talk on an evening or weekend.  We are also hoping to have a piece of land that we can grow veg on and raise a few chickens to get the participants to understand the life cycles and commitment elements, and provide some good outdoor fun. I was hoping some of your members may be available to help with any or all of these elements of the project, and any help would be very gratefully received. Even the donation of any seeds or old tools and other equipment would all be very gratefully received.

I have contacted all the high schools in the immediate area and to date I have not found a school that offers any form of agricultural course. The only course I have come across is at the Borders College who offer a faming apprenticeship scheme.

At the moment we have more enthusiasm than cash, and hence the project is to be restricted to the first 30 young people who apply and to two sites maximum. We are however hopeful that if we can show a demand for the project the Lottery may make more money available to us.

I will keep you informed as things develop and would welcome all the help you can offer.

Many thanks
Helen Henderson email Helen.Henderson@journey2self.co.uk
Project Director"

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Farming4All - project in Borders area of Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:18:21 am »
What an amazing scheme. I hope it all works out...I too would have jumped at the chance!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:27:26 am »
I have to say I think this is brilliant as well. I'm just sorry I don't know more farmers in the borders who I can encourage to get involved.

Beth

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 02:25:22 pm »
There doesn't seem to be much done in Scotland to encourage young non-farmers into agriculture. As fas as I know (but I'm happy to be put right) there are no school education courses to SQA in agriculture or related and no schools with school farms (unlike south of the border).

As someone from a non-farming background going into agriculture at 17, Young Farmers was a bit intimidating and seemed to be all farmers' children.

RHET do a great job getting kids on farm visits but I'm not sure how effective they can be at influencing careers.

Or maybe it's not a problem in Scotland that non-farming young folk don't consider agriculture as a career. Maybe our farmers are fecund enough to satisfy the jobs market  ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 06:52:21 pm »
There are a lot of rural schools in the borders and lots of the kids are from farming backgrounds already, many of the bigger towns the kids are 'rural kids' even if they don't like to think so, lots of them know about these things already.  However, I don't think they will have a problem so long as they advertise in the local press. 

Scottish Farmers have lots of farmers who offer structured support to such things already I'm sure, they always seem to be doing things at the kids school. 

As for careers....they all want to ride a tractor and a quad don't they?  Might be good to visit specifics like cheesemaker farms, ice cream farms etc, flower farms, herb farms, rather than 'to be a farmer'.  Think it's the visits that will make them click as to a career - they need rolemodels at that age, young people or other kids doing it - that they can relate to, otherwise it will be like school for many I think.

Good concept though, my two would love it but too young at the moment.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS