Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which way to face an arc  (Read 2637 times)

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
which way to face an arc
« on: March 22, 2013, 07:50:20 am »
which is the best direction to face an arc, we have terrible winds here and have one facing east, one facing west and both are getting wet inside!

HappyHippy

Re: which way to face an arc
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:56:47 am »
South facing is best - north and east are too cold and west is wettest (normally)

If it's still getting wet inside you could nail some strips of old carpet or a big hessian sack over the entrance to try and deflect some of the water  :thumbsup:
HTH
Karen

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:10:30 am »
i put carpet on the entrance of my ark it was funny when i first did it as they were just walking in and out all day as it must have been tickiling thier backs as they were doing it they were there for hours just walking in and out of the ark  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 09:42:21 am »
off to find some carpet from somewhere, none here sadly

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 09:43:01 am »
Oh, I have to get them some carpet...  :roflanim:

Mine is facing SE because that's our least common wind direction, and where the arc is, it gets some protection from the farm buildings from the SSE too.

When the wind is, very rarely, from that direction, I give them extra straw and they build a windbreak inside the arc.  Clever pigs.   :love: :pig:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 10:05:20 am »
Funny you should say that, not pig related im afraid but yesterday it was windy and blowing into the rabbit hutch, so my doe fashioned herself a windbreak with the extra hay i had put in there, she made a little tunnel and just had her head poking out.

Sometimes I think animals are cleverer than we give them credit for - and then I look at the other one sat huddled outside in the wind and rain soaked through instead of hopping a couple of feet into the shelter...

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 10:15:50 am »
Ours are all currently facing south west with their backs to this constant east wind. I try to site them near to hedges or a wall with the doorway facing the wall. This stops the worst of the wind and rain blowing in if the wind changes.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 12:27:04 pm »
Mine face south and if the wind happens to be coming from the south then they just build up a wall of straw that almost completely blocks the doorway - yes clever piggies  :thumbsup:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 05:05:16 pm »
Funny you should say that, not pig related im afraid but yesterday it was windy and blowing into the rabbit hutch, so my doe fashioned herself a windbreak with the extra hay i had put in there, she made a little tunnel and just had her head poking out.

Sometimes I think animals are cleverer than we give them credit for - and then I look at the other one sat huddled outside in the wind and rain soaked through instead of hopping a couple of feet into the shelter...

Yup I have some like that. Most of mine will sit in there lovely dry hutches and ignore the enclosures when it is raining awaiting the arrival of the soggy human to bring them some MORE food.

Alice on the other hand sits in the pouring rain in a puddle so when her ears look like a lop ::)
I put her in the dry, she comes back out to sit in the rain.
She's not the brightest spark that ever was :bunny:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS