Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 4 'semi'cades!  (Read 2077 times)

Dianabooth

• Joined Mar 2014
4 'semi'cades!
« on: May 16, 2014, 10:25:08 am »
I've just been reading the 'Cade Advice' thread and am in a similar situation but not quite.  I have two sets of twins whose mums have to be held so as to let their babies feed.  One set of twins are 18 days old.  The mother has never accepted them in the pen with her (she stamps and headbutts them) and so they are in a separate pen next to her.  At feed time (4 or 5 times a day) we pin mum to the bars  and one lamb feeds from her in her pen and the other manages to feed from her through the bars of the next door pen.  The other set of twins are 2 weeks old and are in with mum as after about a week she was making 'mummy noises' and is fine with them.... until they try to suckle from her and then she just sits on the :o.  With her we have sit mum on her hip so the babies can feed.  Not an easy task but apart from that she does love them and is anxious at playtime when her babies are away from her and charging around the barn with the other two. I maybe have just got too up close and personal but I cannot see how we are going to wean them.... or maybe it's just too early yet.  The older twins have creep feed, water and a bit of hay in their pen.  The other two, who are in with mum just pinch the hay that she has.  All 4 babies are doing well and are lively but I just can't see a way of how to wean the two that are in with mum.  None of the babies are that keen on the bottle - they take a bit - 150ml max - but reject it after that. All advice gratefully received.  Thank you.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: 4 'semi'cades!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 10:36:14 am »
And you've kept that up for 18 days, wow.  You must be a very patient person! :)

For the older pair of twins, put mum outside and let her dry off.  Keep the lambs inside and bottle feed them 100%.  They will soon start drinking more once they realise that you are now the provider of the milk.

For the other pair, you could do the same thing really. Or, leave them in with mum as she loves them and keep bottle feeding them.  You might find they are getting some from mum when you aren't looking.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 10:55:02 am »
I agree with foobar. 

If you're feeding 4-5 times today, then 150ml is a feed ;).  Especially if they're feeding from mum too.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 12:46:15 pm »
Agree with others take them of and bottle feed  3 times a day ,  the mothers aren't going to take them from the information given ,  hope your going to sell them

Dianabooth

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 06:28:34 pm »
 :thumbsup: Thanks for the advice.  I guess I am quite patient but have an even more patient...... but coming to the end of it...OH!!    and YES! Both mums are destined for the sales at Cheford!  Thanks again everyone.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS