Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How/when to introduce new goats to pregnant mums?  (Read 1488 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
How/when to introduce new goats to pregnant mums?
« on: March 04, 2013, 08:17:05 pm »
As above really?
I shall very soon be collecting 3 new goats, 2 lovely ladies and a wether. After quarantine etc how would you go about introducing them? My girls are due in 6 weeks so I am guessing it'll be after kidding. I have 4 at the moment and 4.5 acres to play with.

Suggestions for a smooth as possible (knowing there will be some major strops!)
The current girls are not on the 4.5 acres at the moment and I plan to take them down there when the kids are strong and bouncy. I am assuming that might be the best time? Ground new to all and new sheds etc won't be defended like a favourite sleeping spot in the current sheds?  :fc: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: How/when to introduce new goats to pregnant mums?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:58:58 pm »
we always try to get them together in the summer , penning them up in the same shed for a few days before we let them out.
there will always be the usual butting etc so not a good idea to try before your girls give birth when they are at the later stages of pregnancy.
It might also be worth letting just the adults out keeping the kids in for the first few times for short periods at a time as kids will just give your current girls something else  to protect and young kids could get hurt
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS