Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Septic Tank Manufacturers/Design/Advice  (Read 3729 times)

Oly

• Joined Feb 2013
  • South Cheshire
New Septic Tank Manufacturers/Design/Advice
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:17:21 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on which septic tank manufacturers to go with (or to avoid), and if there are any design considerations?

We'll be looking for a ~4600L onion shape and have heard that Klargester/Clearwater are now doing one with dip tubes rather than an internal cone which reduces the likeihood of damage??  Can anyone explain that better?  Is it a feature I should be looking for?

Other issues are whether the baffles are glued, riveted or hung on hooks - again, ideas?  Pro's/con's??

Many thanks in advance,
Oly

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: New Septic Tank Manufacturers/Design/Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 06:31:48 pm »
The title was about septic tanks but I thought the klargester is a full treatment plant. Do you need to put a treatment plant in? I only ask as we have recently got permission for a new house (actually restoration of ruin plus extension but coubts as new dwelling) and we are being allowed to put in a septic tank and soak away.

Oly

• Joined Feb 2013
  • South Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 08:45:35 pm »
Klargester is simply a brand name, they do septic tanks and treatment plants.  We're going with a septic tank as treatment plants are better for constant fluid pouring over them - so regular working patterns, or going on holiday can really mess them about.

We're in the same position as you but a little way on it sounds.  We bought a derelict farm house and barn, demolished the lot last year, have planning for a new house and barn and are about to start rebuilding.

If your thinking Klargester - also have a look at Clearwater.  Same products (even same product numbers!) due to the same parent company (Kingspan) but with less of the prestige price tag!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:56:29 pm »
Ahhh I see, that makes sense, then, id only seen klargester in connection with the treatment plants. For the main house we had one built old fashioned style out of blockwork,so I was thinking we would do the same with the cottage, but tbh that was just an assumption so I might be wrong!

No demolition here, just restoring  and extending cottage (house is grade B listed so I don't think they would take too kindly :-DDD)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:48:45 am »
Following.....  Our septic tank consists of 2 IBCs in series with internal baffling and then soakaway into willow bed!!!!  It most certainly wont fall into any bylaw or guidlines so if it ever gets inspected think we may get an order to replace - how much are new septic tanks?  Be a shame as it works brilliantly (put in by the heath robinson guy who we bought house off) (and I know my s**t, having worked in Sewage treatment for 16 years!!)

Oly

• Joined Feb 2013
  • South Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 07:08:48 pm »
If it works and the effluent coming out is within limits then you wouldn't be ordered to change it.  New ones. depending on size, format etc are £600 - £2500 depending on your spec (plus installation)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS