Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: . Started at last  (Read 4085 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
. Started at last
« on: March 03, 2013, 08:57:37 pm »
Yet another beautiful spring day here , blue sky and sunshine all day .
I managed to get some digging done at last .
Only half an hour or so , but got a lump about 30' X 2' turned over and burnt a huge pile of brambles and weeds . My hip and knee are still going mental , as was my back , but had to get something done .
So , i just kept it to the half hour , didn't want to over do it and pull something .
I hope to get some more done tomorrow , but i just take things as they come these days .
The red currant cuttings are sprouting too , so fingers crossed for them .
Meant to turn to rain again on Wednesday .
Wish i had been able to do more before now , but the ground was just too wet and claggy and my knee and hip were too bad .
Made a start at last anyway , were off !

deepinthewoods

Re: . Started at last
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 09:09:28 pm »
good stuff russ. ive been sooo busy i havent had 5 mins in the veg plot. made alot of progress on the rest of the land. but definitely got to get in there soon. the season is started.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:18:31 pm »
Well done, Russ.  I'm planning on sowing my tomatoes this week.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 07:25:24 am »
We've just started too - and already I feel behind! Got a couple of beds of peas sown under cloches at the weekend along with toms and a few lettuces in the poly tunnel. Need to crack on with preparing parsnip beds this morning...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:40:48 am »
 :thumbsup: , Russ, hope you are stocked up on pain relief, just reading about all that digging made me ache....I am such a wuss

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 05:39:36 pm »
Cheers Dave , looks like the season has started all of a sudden .
Still , plenty of time to get things sorted , but i say that every year and never catch up !
I don't have a greenhouse , so don't really bother with toms Lesley , the weather has been so bad the last few years they wouldn't stand a chance here , but i think i will give a dozen plants a go this year .
I am always behind at this time of year Ben , so you aren't alone .
The plot is starting to look like a veggie plot though , even after only 2 days .
I only take pain killers when i can't move Sandy .
It is just a matter of judgement really , do too much at first and i am up that creek . But ease back into the digging routine and i can usually cope , says he with everything crossed .
Got another section dug today . Extended the bit i did yesterday , another 30' x 2' , then got a patch 15' x 6' turned .
Got another mountain of dead bramble burned and broke the handle of my rake , bugger . Job for a rainy day now , along with half a dozen forks , spades and shovels .
The fork i use to dig with , lost the plastic handle bit 20 years ago lol , i get around to things , eventually !
Knackered , but nothing popped , pulled or buggered , yet !!!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 06:07:14 pm »
Glad you are fine, I take them to move!! :roflanim:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 06:10:17 pm »
Tomorrow's the last fine day here, rain, rain, rain again from Wednesday...  :( Soooo - need to get a load of washing out tomorrow.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 06:33:06 pm »
Not exactly fine Sandy , but as good as it gets these days . Hip was going ape , (oooh nearly a song there , 'the hippy hippy ape' ) , but due to the hip hurting as much as it did , i forgot about the knee hurting !
Yes the same here Ina , rain again on wednesday ,  oh well , it couldn't last forever , we had 2 weeks of dry .

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 10:32:54 pm »
Typical.  Just when we started to assemble the new greenhouse, we lose the good weather.  OH is out all day tomorrow and, in any case, it's my day for feeling as sick as a whole herd of pigs, so we were going to do it on Wednesday.  The instructions say that it will take two people half a day to assemble but they robably weren't thinking of one blind person and one with mobility problems.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 10:34:41 pm »
Best of luck, no arguments :innocent:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 09:23:36 am »
I got going digging out weeds and digging in manure last week, finally.  Like you say a couple of good days and it's all systems go with the enthusiasm, only to rediscover the physical issues ::)

I have one bed ready, one was mulched so won't take long and I did enough of that one to finally get the garlic in ::) but I have one that is a net of creeping s*dding buttercup and I've barely done a fifth of it as I have to go do something else instead after a pretty short bash at it each time ::)  I haven't finished pruning apple trees yet so do a few bits overhead with the loppers as an alternate do leaning down and I am desperate to complete a bit I want to clear and get hens onto, and I want a bonfire someday very soon to clear up a lot of debris but I want to trim a hedge and burn the clippings too so I could go round all day and get nothing finished!

A few seed trays in the porch today, to see if I can get a few seedlings started..  Not sure about tomatoes tho, last couple of years they've taken over the porch and produced relatively little so I might just make it my seed greenhouse full time..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 04:12:28 pm »
The pigs are digging my veg plot for the second time so hopefully they get the nettle roots.

Then Im going to mark the beds and paths as its a new area and still quite spongy and muddy then mulch with manure most of it and allow the worms to dig that in as I plant.

Im going to be using a 4 bed (area) scheme for crop rotation.

Round the edges Im scattering wild flower seeds to attract the insects.

I love planning a new veg plot as in my head Im already cropping wonderful things so spring is a time of hope and enthusiasm :)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 05:45:29 pm »
Next week could be wintery showers and back to much colder weather , so take care what you sow !
Got some more digging done , and this lot needed a lot of weeding as well , been left for 6 years , so hard going .
Ache from head to foot , think i have the cold bug going around the village . Bastards , giving me their bugs !
Digging and weeding was torture today and the walk to and from the land was the walk of death !
I hate bugs and the people that give them to me .

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 06:45:31 pm »
You will work through it Rusty Im sure  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS