Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Info needed for setting up Indoor Lambing Barn  (Read 3923 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Info needed for setting up Indoor Lambing Barn
« on: March 03, 2013, 02:05:49 pm »
The barn has been cleared out and converted soley for use for the sheep to come in during the winter months so I have a few questions about the best way to lay out the interior divisions (hurdles):
I need to know sizes and the best system for the ewes/lambs 'pre-lambing'. 'during lambing' and 'after lambing'.
I've had a scout on t'internet but not found much with any detail so if you have any links, they will also be appreciated.
All information welcome. Thanks.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Info needed for setting up Indoor Lambing Barn
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 02:58:58 pm »
Depends how many you have to lamb. 3 areas, open free roam until labour starts or given birth, some pens for bonding etc and then nursery pen for all ewes and lambs before going in field.

I have found 6'x5' is fine for pens or possibly 6'x4' depending on size of sheep.  I have tried to lamb outside then bring in once mum has cleaned up however any that are awkward to deal with I pen up near their due date.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 06:13:26 pm »
We have a pole barn open on one side.  We set up with a gated hurdle and field hayrack were the entrance gate opens so we can get in without the sheep getting out, then set mothering up pens along each side.  There are fixed hayracks and drinkers at the back.  They have the central area to loaf in and are penned as soon as they show definite signs of lambing down so each has a clean pen to lamb in. Once they've mothered up, the ewes have been wormed and the lambs tailed and both marked they go into a separate nursery shed for a day, so the lambs get used to finding their dam and don't attempt to suckle from other ewes.  Everyone's set up will be different but this is what works for us.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 06:38:37 pm »
Marches Farmer - sounds very similar to our barn - would you be kind enough to put some pics up please so I can get a better idea?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 10:15:18 am »
Pics didn't work well- need Panavision!

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 10:22:20 am »
Oh dear, my plan is an organic plan - pens develop as I go!  I do only have 12 goats kidding, but even so - this year I managed to put the 4th goat who kidded within 2 hours in a pen which effectively cut me off from the hay - so I then had to clamber over 3 hurdles 4 times a day!

I always have a plan - but can't put up pens early as the goats just hop in and out and I worry they might catch a leg when heavily pregnant.

Dismantling now and letting the mums and kids mix - utter mayhem!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS