Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The N K Venture  (Read 30859 times)

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
Re: The N K Venture
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2013, 08:53:28 am »
George blackmailed me to start this too hence he started the thread rather than me hahaha

Wiley old bugger was George! I certainly do still miss him.

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #166 on: February 22, 2013, 06:43:02 am »
Ok now where are we with this?

If you have any questions about what has happened in the meantime please ask but Ill carry on from now.

Hubby bought 10 lambs back from market one day last spring and they are awful!!! First they had foot rot (had it when they were sold) so had to treat and bring them in to allow the land to be disease free and despite being nurtured they are dying one by one. Yes I do inject with antis as needed but I think they were/are just a poor flock.

[size=78%] [/size]

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #167 on: February 22, 2013, 06:55:14 am »
One stuck her head through the stock fencing right into the pond and drowned herself!!! Sheep can really be stupid!

The ground is now very wet here and I dont like my sheep in the wet so have moved them to a small area which is high ground and dry underfoot. Im supplementing feed with creep and hay. I only have 6 of the 10 left so will be looking for cades soon.

Gypsy the kitten got killed last year so looked for another kitten, I found one and bought it for £20 and hubby picked it up 3 weeks later when I was visiting my daughter, when I got home I looked in the box at the kitten and it seems to have become two!
Now hubby loves a bargain and it seems the kittens were a bog off deal so we now have two male kittens called Dave and Edd.

They are doing well and at 6 months are starting to catch rats, they've gone through the voles/mouse stage and have scaled up!
The kittens are meant to be farm cats and live outside, HUH!! tell that to the kittens!!

Next week they are booked in to be done so perhaps then they may not WANT to be around me!!

Oh and after looking for a whole year I have finally got a Jack Russel pup, shes brown and white and so cute. God alone knows if she will ever catch a rat as my kittens are bigger than she is but what the hell shes lovely.
She steals food from the sheps but she gets away with it being a pup lets see what happens when she is older?? Bad girl!!

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2013, 07:56:20 am »
 :wave: jackie sounds like you have a eventful time ahead.

if you struggle to find cades i might be able to point you in the right direction we usually buy in 8 - 12 but are taking a rest from lambs this year.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2013, 02:48:38 pm »
This year we have bought 2 hatcheries from Ebay, always liking a good deal we offered the guy £250 for them both and got them £50 off :)

Each hatchery will hatch 48 chickens and duck eggs and 24 goose eggs, fully automatic thank goodness.
Hubby bought 48 mixed farmyard layer eggs from Ebay and day 21 is today and so far 4 have hatched, Im not holding out much hope for many more.

In the second hatcher is a mix of 25 duck eggs (Alebury and Pekin) and 20 mixed layer chicken eggs (bought from Melton cattle market) and Im really looking forward to having some ducks. I will house them in the hen house at the side of the hens. The hen house is a huge brick built things for those who dont know.

I already have a solid plastic kids paddling pool for the ducks, the geese use the lake on the land but as ducks pooh as they swim and Im planning on trying some trout fry in the lake I dont want the water polluted by the ducks.

Im going out every 2 days to collect the goose eggs from my flock and so far have collected 20, 4 more and 3 days we can reuse the 1st hatchery as the baby chicks come out.

The chicks will go into a box with a heat lamp until they are a little bigger and have bought some chick crumb from a local guy.

This year we are trying some veg crops as I used to have 2 allotments prior to the smallholding and have missed growing stuff.

We have erected a polytunnel (40ft x 12) and have dug some beds for tender crops, ie toms, aubergine and melons plus underplanting with salad crops.

The main stuff is being planted in approx half an acre which we are setting up an electric fence around so some pigs will rotovate it and get out the nettle roots which my land is infested with :(
So far its cost a bloody fortune so I hope I can get some good crops and may even try selling the excess.

My fruit cage is going to be 24ft by 24ft and have already bought the soft fruit to go in it. Early mid and late raspberries, logan berries, blue berries and gooseberries, my strawbs are planted near my polytunnel.

Id love to grow some grapes for wine making and eating but I think we are too far north, I know we are for peaches :(
We are also planning an orchard and have bought a few apples pears, cherry and plum trees. I have to make sure that the trees can polinate each other so am learning all I can about which goes with which.

In the next few days we are going to cut the established fruit trees here down to a manageable height and hopefully get a good crop this year as last year was terrible.

Oh and talking about fruit trees, last year someone stole all my greengages, plums and sloes!!!!! I was so dam angry!! I didnt have any sloe gin for Christmas!!!

This year someone has been digging up my bulbs and taking them!! I should just let my sheps out and see how fast the thieves can run eh?

Ive finally stopped the chest infection in my sheep with injections of anti's, so far we've lost 3 sheep. Sheep are expensive business!

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2013, 02:56:11 pm »
Thanks Kja :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS