Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Contact for Steinbacher Geese?  (Read 2022 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Contact for Steinbacher Geese?
« on: February 21, 2013, 07:23:26 pm »
Anyone know of a contact for Steinbacher Geese?  Gander or females required to mix up the genes a bit with our own flock ASAP!  Many thanks.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Contact for Steinbacher Geese?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:21:15 pm »
Have you tried the British Waterfowl Association or the Domestic Waterfowl trust? I think both have a list of breeders (certainly the BWA does). Where are you? I have a copy of the BWA list somewhere so I can see if there is anybody close to you ......if I can work out where that list is!

H

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:49:22 pm »
Thanks Hester, hadn't thought of that, I'm in Scottish Borders so north of England not too far either.  Couple of shows coming up but no guarantees of Steinbachers of course.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 11:17:17 pm »
Sorry, I meant to get back to you on this before. In case you haven't already contacted the BWA, I don't think there's anything close to you. According to the 2011/2012 breeders list, they have six breeders listed in Cornwall, Kent, Lincoln, Shropshire and two in Suffolk. I can send you the contact details of the more northerly ones if you want because they might know of somebody who keeps them further North (and even if they're not officially a breeder they might be able to sell you a couple). I'm guessing it's quite a small world (certainly the West of England seems to be) so it's probably worth calling somebody to see whether they can help. I can PM you details of the Southern Scottish BWA contact as well if you want - best not put his details on here in case he gets bombarded with internet crap.

H

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 10:26:31 am »
Jaykay keeps Steinbacher (I originally got my ones from her original ones), she now keeps a different gander and is going to see how he goes this year, my gander is unrelated to one of my geese so I am going to try and do a bit of marking eggs and swapping etc from her nest.  Between us both we should be able to keep the genes mixing. It's a bit late to swap ganders now they are all laying.  Both of us are going to keep an eye out for auction ones too so hopefully some good will come of it all before next spring  :D

Thanks HesterF, I'll take a rain check on this one just now and perhaps get back to you, that was kind of you to get back to me, many thanks, amanda

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS